Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just another christmas...

Options
  • 22-12-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

or is it a sign of things to come, with the recession looming..

Was walking out of work on saturday.. opened the front door to go into the porch and found these two looking at me...

sg1gcx.jpg
    dobau0.jpg

Please excuse the pics being side ways.. i fail at this thing. The male dog.. the second one, is holding his leg so is being xrayed in the morning and the little girl is being spayed and we are putting them up for rehomeing asap. Hopefully together. But was talking to a guy i do some charity work with and he said a lot of dogs are being abandoned or handed over due to cost etc. Is it christmas is it recession.

Im not looking forward to the new year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Some people are heartless. Those dogs look lovely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

they are absolutely cuties and so so friendly. At least who ever it was had the good sense to leave them at a vet and not out on the street! I know Egar is full to the brim with doggies and a few others i have spoken to also. I just fear the amount that will be pts in the new year.

No disrespect but the more people i meet the more i like my pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

Archimedes wrote: »

this kind of thing is happening all the time.only last year we found a dog skin and bone.thankfully the local pound got a home for him.i dont think recession has anything to do with it.a warm dogs bed and some dry dog food wouldnt break anyones bank.remember its recession not the third world.well done for looking after the dogs,kind hearted people still exist.people who leave dogs in this manner should be found and charged to the full extent of the law!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Its why I cant wait until I have my own place. I cant wait to take in some abondoned dogs. I treat the dog we have at home like a prince anytime Im home. It just sucks that the house Im in at the moment wont allow pets because even as a student, Id rather spend my money on taking in a little fellow than going out or anything. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Some people are heartless, but as Jules said:
    Jules wrote: »
    At least who ever it was had the good sense to leave them at a vet and not out on the street!quote]

I think it is a crying shame that some heartless people are dumping dogs, but it is expensive to keep a dog...
    LIS wrote: »
    a warm dogs bed and some dry dog food wouldnt break anyones bank.quote]

This doesnt account for insurance (mine is currently more than my car insurance) and vet bills (if it wasnt for my insurance I would be scr3wed) etc.
    I think if you are in the position that you cannot afford to keep your pet you must put it into a place where it will be looked after and an attempt made to rehome it, rather than cowardly dumping it. When we buy pets we cant see that we may fall on hard times and be unable to look after them. I would much rather a pet be left with a responsible person rather than letting it starve due to being too proud/shamed.

My two cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Its why I cant wait until I have my own place. I cant wait to take in some abondoned dogs. I treat the dog we have at home like a prince anytime Im home. It just sucks that the house Im in at the moment wont allow pets because even as a student, Id rather spend my money on taking in a little fellow than going out or anything. :(

Me too Archimedes, I really can't wait to be in a position to take in some rescue dogs.

I just hope that people don't buy puppies on a whim for Christmas this year, only to find themselves without the resources to take care of them next year- this could be a very serious problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The OP gave me a fright. I thought it was a picture of a dog that had been hung, for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

its so sad :(

i cant wait til im driving (my new years ambition)....then i will be able to find a shelter to volunteer at. there are already so many abandoned anmals every year, i really hope the recession doesn't mean a big increase i this number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i honestly dont think a reccesion has anything got to do with it. people have kept dogs feeding them scraps from the table for years upon years before the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

Hey there please try Blackretrieverx
    Great lady over in England who takes in Black retriever cross pups/dogs over from Ireland
    Go on to the site
    Good luck;)

Advertisement