Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I've bought a 70lb diamond compound bow i got a bit of kit to set it up and reckon it's pretty well set up,its shooting lower than the sight but that's a small thing i hope,but here is the question, what's the typical distance you set a bow up so that the aim sight match's the point of impact,..ie: you aim for bull you hit it and with no hold over.....thanks in advance.
    One other thing did i buy a to powerful bow to enter comps/clubs?? i bought a little blind.

ME ARROWS DISAPPER INTO THE GROUND TIS LIKE MAGIC .. i've a safe background.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi there,

Welcome to archery!

With a compound bow we never need to aim over the target, generally speaking. For indoors we shoot at 18 meters, and outdoors we shoot at 90, 70, 50 and 30 meters if you're a fella, and 70, 60, 50 and 30 if you're a cailin.

70lbs is too high for competition. 60lbs is the max peak weight allowed in non-hunting archery (anything higher and the arrow can pass through a target with enough energy remaining to lance someone!!!!), and since hunting with a bow is outlawed in most of Europe unfortunatly your bow is a bit over powered. However, most compounds can be wound down about 10%, so that would put you in range of legality if it can wind down. Where are you based? There is probably a club nearby that can help you with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Panserborn wrote: »
    Hi there,

Welcome to archery!

With a compound bow we never need to aim over the target, generally speaking. For indoors we shoot at 18 meters, and outdoors we shoot at 90, 70, 50 and 30 meters if you're a fella, and 70, 60, 50 and 30 if you're a cailin.

70lbs is too high for competition. 60lbs is the max peak weight allowed in non-hunting archery (anything higher and the arrow can pass through a target with enough energy remaining to lance someone!!!!), and since hunting with a bow is outlawed in most of Europe unfortunatly your bow is a bit over powered. However, most compounds can be wound down about 10%, so that would put you in range of legality if it can wind down. Where are you based? There is probably a club nearby that can help you with this.

i thanks for your reply, i am based in Co,Clare so was thinking UL in Limerick would be my nearest club.was hoping to get some bit proficient so as to not look the idiot with the new bow. i think i can let it back to 60Ib but i think it affects the bow as when i read up on it afterwards they say a bow shhots better at its max more than at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

The poundage will affect the sight mark (the vertical position of the scope) but shouldn't affect it's performance. It depends on the arrows you are using though.

All clubs are used to beginners from people that have never seen a bow to others that pick one up and shoot the gold from day one so no one will think you look like an idiot.

By joining a club you will also make sure you start out learning a good technique and don't get any bad habits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

There is also alot of safety rules that a club will teach you and if you want to compeate you have to be a member of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Carebear11 wrote: »
    There is also alot of safety rules that a club will teach you and if you want to compeate you have to be a member of a club.

Hi Carebear i'm big into Target sports; Clay shooting,rifle shooting and have done a pistol/rifle safty course so reckon the safty bit is drilled into me not that i wont do a Archery Course, i will when i get round to attending a club sometime in New year, thinking UL in limerick.thanks tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement