Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bokeh on Glossy monitors..

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Just got a 5D MKII and the IQ on the 5D LCD looks amazing , but when i uploaded pics on to a new PC with a glossy monitor (HP w1907v)
    the pics don't look so great .. the sharpness is fine ,, but the colours, especially bokeh look a bit banded ??

weird .. a little worried .. im gonna check the photos on my old monitor...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Is it calibrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

The monitor, no i guess it isn.t ... ill try that ... anyway as long as i can-t see the same banding when i zoom in on the 5D LCD .. it means the photos are ok yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'm betting its the monitor. I've just bought a HP laptop with glossy monitor and its the worst thing for editing photos. It's calibrated (not well) but its just not designed for photo editing. It's designed to make everything looks bright and colourful, hence my photos coming back from the shop are just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not sure if this is relevant at all but until the great mass of drinking boards.ie photography forum posters wake tomorrow with hang overs :rolleyes: I will make it as a suggestion;

I once scanned an old photo at a very high resolution - can't remember what it was but it wasn't the normal 300dpi. Anyhow, it looked woeful on the monitor (again uncalibrated). It had 'banding' and what looked like white dots spread across the entire image.

Well it never looked any better on screen. I thought it through and couldn't come up with anything that i had done to cause it and the scanner was working perfectly. I could scan at a lower resolution and everything looked fine. So I went and had the higher resolution scan printed at the photo lab and everything was fine - it printed without banding and without the white dots.

Still looks awful on the screen but prints perfectly. So it is possible that it's something similar - the inability of the graphics card to handle the resolution of the image. Was it shot in full 21 megapixel? If so maybe scale it back to 6 or 10 and take an image just to compare if its an image resolution issue?

There is a mention of something similar being a known problem with it - see post "Don't buy this camera, yet" - I'm sure if its known that Canon are working to resolve it asap.

Anyhow normal service resumes here in the morning when hangover wares off!

Nice camera though - good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

jackdaw wrote: »

Doesn't look it to me.

I'm on my desktop, which has a matte screen. I'll check on my laptop, which has a glossy one and frequently has banding.

Yup - there is on the laptop. Very noticable on the dark patches on the tail.

TPD wrote: »
    Doesn't look it to me.

I'm on my desktop, which has a matte screen. I'll check on my laptop, which has a glossy one and frequently has banding.

cheers .. just looked on my old CRT ... seems fine ... the glossy seems to exagerate noise ,,,

Well this is a lesson ... this was a PC my Ma' got ... i guess I'll go for the MAtte when i get my desktop :)

thanks all for your help..

The monitor, no i guess it isn.t ... ill try that ... anyway as long as i can-t see the same banding when i zoom in on the 5D LCD .. it means the photos are ok yeah ?

Should be this way , yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Pic looks fine to me, I use a matte Samsung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

It's because you're viewing the images on a resin coated monitor, want to get yourself a fibre based one... much better tonal gradation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Looks fine on my Macbook Pro. (Matte screen)

OK , yeah this is a PC my Ma just got ... so its fine for her ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Just for the record, it looks perfect on my macbook 13' with glossy screen :)

Checked the color quality in display settings ??

Oh and cute kitty

Wait i think flickr clears it up a little ...

check the original ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3126135947_fa6ff0b155_o.jpg

see the banding in the bokeh of the cat ??

I can see it on this monitor but not on my LCD...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

This could possibily be as a result of Aliasing; check out wiki for a detailed discription http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing, but basically if you have a image (or any given signal) captured at on resolution and displayed at different resolution you can find artifacts in the displayed image due to the method of sampling.

But this isn't the camera, it-s the monitor surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

The strong probality yes; it is the monitor/graphics card on your computer, sorry I didn't make that clear enough.

Burnt wrote: »
    The strong probality yes; it is the monitor/graphics card on your computer, sorry I didn't make that clear enough.

Well ... I just viewed the same pic in paint and no banding .. on the same monitor ... strange ... maybe it is the aliasing as it being resized on windows
    pic viewer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just looked at in my studio 17 which has a glossy screen and it looks fine - looks the same when i switch over to the 24" dell lcd monitor (matte)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

windows
    pic viewer...

Never, ever, use windows to do anything with an image. Ever.

Advertisement