Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiot Driving wrong way on Carlow bypass

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Was driving back from Dublin yesterday evening heading towards the exit at the powerstown dump, when I saw a rare thing in all my years of Driving this takes the biscuit, at about 5:30 to 6 yesterday evening on the Carlow motorway, I noticed really bright headlights away in the distance and I thought is this guy not heard of dimming, so anyway the closer he got I thought F### me the idiot was actually driving on the wrong side of the motorway on my side and in the fast lane I pulled into the slow lane there were no other cars around so I flashed him like mad and blew the horn, but he just stayed going he could have caused a huge head on accident, I slowed up and looked round and he just continued to drive along the wrong side and heading back towards the castledermot side, what a thing to see a car heading at you on your side of the motorway but going in the opposite direction!!!!!!!! I didnt know what the hell was going on, I was wondering if any of you was driving along that stretch and encountered that lunatic or maybe one of your friends did?. If so let me know. I dont know where he planned to get off as there arent many exits on that stretch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hopefully you called the nearest Garda Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That Jim McDaid lad clearly hasn't learnt his lesson yet :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Berty wrote: »
    Hopefully you called the nearest Garda Station.
    Would have thought that sorta nutjob would warrant 999 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

How can you not know your driving the wrong way? wasnt a micra by any chance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Could get a good look as he sped past and it was pitch black, I was just shocked by what I had seen!!!, its something you would see on tv police camrea action or something, now wheres the gatso van and the guards when you need them!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

How is it some people do the must stupit and dangerous things and get away with it, but if we have a brake light not working we get pulled

An old man told me once "i never had a crash in my life but ive seen loads of them in my rear view mirror" figure that out!

Here Here, Jack Frosty I totally agree with what your saying and another thing, the gusrds dont practice what they are preaching with the clamp down on drivers with blown bulbs in headlight etc, the amount of squad cars driving around with blown bulbs is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

sorry about that..It was a shorter way home though so I reckoned I'd just go that way.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    I thought F### me the idiot was actually driving on the wrong side of the motorway on my side and in the fast lane I pulled into the slow lane there were no other cars around so I flashed him like mad and blew the horn

What were you doing driving in the 'fast' lane if there was no other traffic around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I'm wondering how she got on to that side of the road , the only way would be from the the off ramp at powerstown and means you would have to exit at 7 o'clock off the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I drove from Waterford to Dublin yesterday, and approaching the first roundabout, it took me just a double take to figure out which way I should be going. Of course I knew I had to cross the bridge, but if it had been night and I hadn't been paying attention, I could easily have tried to go down the wrong way. Maybe this junction needs to be looked at?

By the way, OP, I hope you pulled over and dialled 999? I think this was an emergency that warranted breaking the "no stopping" rule on the motorway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kwalshe wrote: »
    I'm wondering how she got on to that side of the road , the only way would be from the the off ramp at powerstown and means you would have to exit at 7 o'clock off the roundabout
    You musn't drive on Irish roads that much!
    70% of Irish drivers tend to be oblivious to what they should and shouldn't be doing! 255 are aware of what they are doing yet still don't give a shít!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

kbannon wrote: »
    You musn't drive on Irish roads that much!
    70% of Irish drivers tend to be oblivious to what they should and shouldn't be doing! 255 are aware of what they are doing yet still don't give a shít!
    If only it was just 255*...

* I know it was typo but we can live in hope, can't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kwalshe wrote: »

Probably came from Kilkenny side and just drove 'straight' through the roundabout instead of taking a left to cross over. The signage around there wasn't the best for a long time especially in the dark but ffs I can't believe s/he didn't see the "DANGER - WRONG WAY" signs, they're hard to miss. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

what a thing to see a car heading at you on your side of the motorway but going in the opposite direction!!!!!!!!

Wow, a car heading towards you AND it's going in the opposite direction!! The physics seem impossible to comprehend. From the sounds of your post it seems like you were the one who was driving on teh wrong side of the road and perhaps you were under the influence of some type of drugs?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hagar wrote: »
    If only it was just 255*...

* I know it was typo but we can live in hope, can't we?
    oops - yeah, typo - it should have been 25%

Slimjimmc

I think you may have a point there about going down that ramp at the roundabou the wrong way, but then you would imagine that he/she would have turned the car around after meeting me and went back the right way, but the dirver of the car didnt and just continued driving the worng way, may be the driver was drunk or joyrider maybe? I will never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's apparently quite a well known phenomenon on new sections of motorway/dual-carriageway, particularly in rural areas where some motorists have little or no experience of such roads, and this 'lovely big wide new road' suddenly becomes available to them.
    You'll see it a good bit on the bigger two-lane roundabouts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

spartan33 did u phone the guards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Just beats what I saw today, a guy reversing back along the lay by on the Naas Bypass. :eek: Not a good idea at the best of times, but even less advisable when its raining.

It was a few hundred yards past an off ramp so I can only assume that he missed his turnoff and decided to reverse back rather than turning off at the next exit and coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i would have been on the motorway around that time...didnt notice anything though. you know the offramp for the wexford exit halfway along that bypass? if your coming out of carlow along the N80, the offramp there is easily accessible as "the first exit" at one of the new roundabouts, id say thats where it happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hi Folks

Was driving back from Dublin yesterday evening heading towards the exit at the powerstown dump, when I saw a rare thing in all my years of Driving this takes the biscuit, at about 5:30 to 6 yesterday evening on the Carlow motorway, I noticed really bright headlights away in the distance and I thought is this guy not heard of dimming, so anyway the closer he got I thought F### me the idiot was actually driving on the wrong side of the motorway on my side and in the fast lane I pulled into the slow lane there were no other cars around so I flashed him like mad and blew the horn, but he just stayed going he could have caused a huge head on accident, I slowed up and looked round and he just continued to drive along the wrong side and heading back towards the castledermot side, what a thing to see a car heading at you on your side of the motorway but going in the opposite direction!!!!!!!! I didnt know what the hell was going on, I was wondering if any of you was driving along that stretch and encountered that lunatic or maybe one of your friends did?. If so let me know. I dont know where he planned to get off as there arent many exits on that stretch.

oh jeeesus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What were you doing driving in the 'fast' lane if there was no other traffic around?

Im hoping that you forgot the sarcastic smiley there? surely nobody is that pedantic/ motors PC:confused:

back on topic, seen the same thing on the Portlaoise Bypass one night, seen the auld dear coming down the off ramp onto the road. Flashed and blew the horn like mad, pulled into the outside lane but she kept on coming. She pulled out onto the inside lane and proceeded on her merry way. I rang the gardai in Portlaoise (and for the PC brigade, I didnt stop the car to do so) who said they were already on the way. I never heard of any multiple pile ups afterwards so I presume they got her in time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Hi Folks

Was he speeding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

One time while driving south on the M1 at around Monasterboice, I came upon a Garda van going the wrong way up the southbound carriageway. Obviously with very good reason but it was quite disturbing. That section of the road is curved so it was difficult to ascertain whether he was on the northbound carriageway or not untill he was quite close. This was about 10pm on a Sunday night so the roads were quiet.

He was in the overtaking lane which, if people are following the rules of the road correctly, is probably the safest place to be as there should be few people in there at that time on a Sunday.

Since that time, I have repeatedly looked at cars on the opposite side of the motorway no a curved section and questioned which side they are really on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi Folks

Was driving back from Dublin yesterday evening heading towards the exit at the powerstown dump, when I saw a rare thing in all my years of Driving this takes the biscuit, at about 5:30 to 6 yesterday evening on the Carlow motorway, I noticed really bright headlights away in the distance and I thought is this guy not heard of dimming, so anyway the closer he got I thought F### me the idiot was actually driving on the wrong side of the motorway on my side .

You're lucky! I was driving on that road on the same day and there were hundreds of the f*ckers on the wrong side of the road. Every car I met in fact!! I had to keep my headlights on so they would all see me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Are you sure you weren't driving the wrong way?:D:D:D:D:D:D:P

Advertisement