Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai announce cameras to read number plates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.ireland.com/home/Garda_publishes_policing_plan/maxiview.ie?mx_fast_NEWS_irishtimes.com_uuid=220552_irnewsirishtimes
    http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/general/14565440/?view=Standard

This will be interesting. Maybe something like the UK, where the police will be notified if X car has no tax, is stolen, it's owner wanted...

But it'll probably cost twice the amount of the port tunnel, and fail as the cameras can't read number plates...:rolleyes:

and Z car hasn't paid his VRT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.ireland.com/home/Garda_publishes_policing_plan/maxiview.ie?mx_fast_NEWS_irishtimes.com_uuid=220552_irnewsirishtimes
    http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/general/14565440/?view=Standard

This will be interesting. Maybe something like the UK, where the police will be notified if X car has no tax, is stolen, it's owner wanted...

But it'll probably cost twice the amount of the port tunnel, and fail as the cameras can't read number plates...:rolleyes:

Damn good idea! Somthing the UK had for years, but typical us took years to get it here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's been so much talk of this already and it is essentially old news. Is this "for real" this time? Great tool for the Garda to have I reckon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

it's 100% for real this time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

nipplenuts wrote: »
    and Z car hasn't paid his VRT!!!

They hardly need a camera for that. Anything without an Irish reg hasnt paid vrt.

Whether the people are here on holiday or not is a different matter that a camera cant tell them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's about bloody time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stekelly wrote: »
    They hardly need a camera for that. Anything without an Irish reg hasnt paid vrt.

Whether the people are here on holiday or not is a different matter that a camera cant tell them anyway.

Camera + suitable database could record how many times the car has been spotted; giving more weight to pulling someone in for an interrogation...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't the gardai already have something like 50 cars with ANPR?

kbannon wrote: »

dunno how many but one thing i do know is that any ANPR car is really easy to spot from the back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kbannon wrote: »

I remember talking to a garda and they don't have an ANPR the same as the UK. It's called something else, but i'm sure it's the exact same thing haha.

I think it's about time, as long as they use there discretion. Ie. no "Omg, his tax expired yesterday, let's get him" kinda thing.

Motor related law breakers of Ireland, let justice be served:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Friend of mine was driving behind a Guard last night and the Guard gave him a lil blue flash and pulled over.

Came up to the window and told him that he had something on board that could tell who the car was regestered to and if it was taxed or not and why wasn't his car taxed the last 8 months!

Only got the car two weeks before so twas all good but accordin to this Guard, some of the cars have em already...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

miju wrote: »
    dunno how many but one thing i do know is that any ANPR car is really easy to spot from the back
    What do they have that the normal one doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Damn good idea! Somthing the UK had for years, but typical us took years to get it here.:rolleyes:

Don't count your chickens...

Widespread speed cameras have been planned for years & not implemented, and driving licence points arrived about ten years after they were planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm sure RtdH will come up with a suitable Biblical reference.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

esel wrote: »
    I'm sure RtdH will come up with a suitable Biblical reference.... :D
    "Let him who hath reckoning understand the registration number of the beast, for it is a Dublin reg. Woe to them who do not have the county name in Irish above this number, for it is an abomination in the eyes of the lord"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reesy wrote: »
    Don't count your chickens...

Widespread speed cameras have been planned for years & not implemented, and driving licence points arrived about ten years after they were planned.

Except in this case, we're announcing them after they've already been fitted to (some) cars for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

About time too.

MYOB wrote: »
    Except in this case, we're announcing them after they've already been fitted to (some) cars for months.

thats right the fitting out of the ANPR cars has begun with gusto since the start of November or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Cue technology being used for so called congestion charging.

Hagar wrote: »
    Cue technology being used for so called congestion charging.

Its fitted to mobile cars, not fixed locations...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yet...

Hagar wrote: »
    Yet...

yet.... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

MYOB wrote: »
    Its fitted to mobile cars, not fixed locations...

Aren't all those gantry signs dotted along the M1 fitted with two ANPR cameras? (not suggesting they are tied in to any garda network)

Additionally anyone noticing a huge increase in the number of vehicles driving about with totally muddied out rear 'plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Will they be able to read through 6 months and 3 foot of muck? Will they advise the Guard's of cars with dodgy number plates, the mirror type?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wertz wrote: »
    Aren't all those gantry signs dotted along the M1 fitted with two ANPR cameras? (not suggesting they are tied in to any garda network)

Additionally anyone noticing a huge increase in the number of vehicles driving about with totally muddied out rear 'plates?

3 or 4 a day, all D reg if you squint to see the outline.

I see a toll dodge attempt.

However, you will find that like any country that has implemented these that the system will report an unreadable, therefore chargable plate.

Personally I dont know if its an offense in Ireland, but it is in other countries.

It is an offence here, I found the SI when someone on here was insisting it wasn't (and then continued to argue what the word "Shall" meant...)
    Wertz wrote: »

Owned by the NRA, can't be used to send out penalties, etc (as yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm fairly sure they updated the legislation just before the M50 barriers came out, added or increased fine amounts and such.
    That's not to say that it's being enforced though.
    There are concerns to be raised about people dodging tolls like this, not because trhey're dodging tolls (more power to them tbh) but that their car is now less identifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

spotted black ford mondeo saloon 08D reg in monaghan today fitted with anpr equipement from the front you probably wouldnt spot it when travelling at speed but from behind there is a small box attached to the boot bit obvious being honest, must have been first day they got it because there was 5 heads on board how many does it take to look at a computer screen:D

deaglan169 wrote: »
    spotted black ford mondeo saloon 08D reg in monaghan today fitted with anpr equipement from the front you probably wouldnt spot it when travelling at speed but from behind there is a small box attached to the boot bit obvious being honest

told ya it was ridiculously easy to spot them :) can easily be spotted from the front too if you know where to look

• Advertisement
Advertisement