Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type 1 Diabetes

Options
  • 21-12-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I know someone who was recently diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes, which means as a precautionary measure they need instant access to a source of sugar if their blood sugar goes too low. Does anyone know of any portable products that are available for this. A quick, easy source of sugar that could fit in a wallet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gloucose tablets for crumble-free storage or those chewy snack bars (with the sweet filler).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

jelly beans :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Jelly beans are great alright - my husband always has a stock of them! Glucogel is good and handy but it does not taste the best. Unfortunatly they are not small enough to fit in a wallet though.

Mind sound silly, but sachets of sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you can get lucozade tablets but I always end up munching mine cause they taste nice :) Glucogel is good cause as Cathy says, it tastes horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

Is diabetes totally irriversable? i'm only asking because i think i might have it :confused:

still havint been to the doctor and for the last three weeks my left hand is feeling a little tingly and slight darker (more blue) than my right

I know i have been taking to much sugar as i often drink around 2ltr of coke per day about 2-3 times a week and at least half a litre daily, i have cut back and havint drank coke now for about a week and the colour in my hand is getting better and also the tingle/ numb feeling is a bit better but i can still feel it any advice?

I know i should go doctor straight away but just really dont want to hear bad news :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Donkathon wrote: »
    Is diabetes totally irriversable? i'm only asking because i think i might have it :confused:

still havint been to the doctor and for the last three weeks my left hand is feeling a little tingly and slight darker (more blue) than my right

I know i have been taking to much sugar as i often drink around 2ltr of coke per day about 2-3 times a week and at least half a litre daily, i have cut back and havint drank coke now for about a week and the colour in my hand is getting better and also the tingle/ numb feeling is a bit better but i can still feel it any advice?

I know i should go doctor straight away but just really dont want to hear bad news :confused::confused::confused:

not hearing the bad news doesn't make it go away, it just makes it worse when you do hear it. And, if you don't ask, you'll have to wait to be told, and you will be told if you have a serious condition.

Type 1 diabetes isn't really related to diet, a lot of people with type 1 are quite skinny. Eating lots of sugar doesn't really cause type 1, although obviously if you have it, it'll make it worse. I'm not saying you DON'T have diabetes, but the symptoms you've described wouldn't have me thinking of diabetes first.

Are you drinking lots of fluid and peeing all the time? They would be the classic symptoms. get yourself to a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Donkathon wrote: »

You know what you should do. Make an appointment today. Please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would echo what the other people have said - please go to your doctor immediatly. They will be able to asses you and at least you will know either way.

Advertisement