Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iQ now on Toyota Ireland website

Options
  • 21-12-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

iq-int-7.jpg
    Why is the handbrake on the wrong side??

iq-ext-2.jpg
    • Brand new Multidrive or 5 speed transmission for
      1.0-litre VVT-i
    • 6 speed transmission on 1.4-litre D-4D
    • Engineered to reach 5-star Euro NCAP
    • 9 airbags including world's first rear window curtain shield airbag
    • CO2: iQ as low as 99g/km

"Every millimetre we can move the pedals forward is very important. So five years ago we embarked upon an exercise in extreme packaging improvement as part of the iQ project. And the lessons learnt here will be applied to other future Toyota models," Hiroki Nakajima, Chief Engineer of the iQ

The forward placement of the differential in front of the engine means the distance from the tip of the bumper to the accelerator pedal could be reduced by 120 mm.

99g/km is a bit disappointing for a car that size.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

ninty9er wrote: »

Cost cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ninty9er wrote:

image is mirrored. look at the speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

on LHD pics the handbrake also is on the "wrong" (the other) side of the gearlever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

colm_mcm wrote: »
    image is mirrored. look at the speedo.

But still on the wrong side of the gearstick for the driver... Mirroring wouldn't account for only some of the picture being wrong.

More likely that it has to be that way because it's beside the gearstick instead of behind it - and the gearstick is used more.

not really. a lot of other cars are like that. on a small car like that, it can't be too far away.

A lot of work obviously went into the packaging of this car, I doubt they'd mess up something like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

How much is this little fella going to be?

Any guesses how much I'd get trading in a 06 Aygo against it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

be
    Trotter wrote: »

It'll be dearer than the Aygo by a good bit but with higher spec - can't remember the Irish Times indicated figures a few weeks back but in the UK its 2.2k sterling more expensive than the Aygo.

It'd have to be more expensive than a Yaris anyway. It's gonna be a premium small car, so not really in competition with an Aygo, I'd say its main competition will be the Fiat 500 and Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd say it wouldn't be worth your while if you're happy with the Aygo, which I seem to recall you saying you are.

I'd say it could come in around €13/14k and cost you up to €8/9k to change.

Surely it would be as expensive as a Yaris, not more?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

another forray into toyotas ever uglier small cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What annoys me is that this car because its below 99g/km it qualifies for free road tax in the UK but we will have to pay tax over here. If it was free to tax it would be half tempting!

How much would it be to tax in Holland? OR Germany? Or any other country thats not relevant to Ireland?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My point is that the UK has a tax free band to as a way to encourage people do drive cleaner cars.

and my point is that other countries dont. Cherry picking good points of other systems as some way of bemoaning our own is pointless. Nowhere is perfect. If €104 in tax is stopping you being able to afford a car then a new car is not your main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I was told by a Toyota dealer two months back that they would be starting off at €12k - €14k.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I was told by a Toyota dealer two months back that they would be starting off at €12k - €14k.

Pricing hasn't been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is there a launch date?

First delivery in Germany is the 24th of next month with the new Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's a fugly little duckling though, innit? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Rumour has it if ya plant it in the garden and water it well, you can did this up after a year! :D

08-toyota-hilux-fs-s.jpg

I'm delighted with my Aygo but I'm getting married soon and I've a strange urge to get something that eats rabbits for fuel just until I have to go sensible again.

For 14k, I'll get an old beast.

peasant wrote: »
    It's a fugly little duckling though, innit? :D

Looks like the designer walked by a chrysler garage when he got inspiration for the front end.

Ficus wrote: »
    so by pointing out that other countries have better incentives to buy cleaner cars than Ireland is pointless?And over the lifespan of the car, if the tax was free rather than the current 100 euro per year, thats a grand over 10 years, which would be a factor to some people alright.

Pointing out, no. Giving out, yes.

People have this habbit of picking out the bits they like from a bunch of other countries and giving out that Ireland is crap. €100 a year to tax IS the incentive to buy a car.

BTW, that €1000 equates to .27c per day. I lose more than that in change. 1000 over 10 years is literally pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It looks like a smaller, more annoying version of this lol

rt_terios0706.jpg

What's the N-cap like? Or any results yet?

• Advertisement

It looks like a smaller, more annoying version of this lol

rt_terios0706.jpg

What's the N-cap like? Or any results yet?

Engineered to reach 5-star Euro NCAP

I assume that means it still has to undergo the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

According to the Irish Times(which reviewed the car a couple of weeks ago), the iQ will start at €14,000.

There will be 2 trim levels; Strata and Luna.

True to form Toyota Ireland will be removing items of standard equipment found in oh I don't know.... the UK.

Items such as air-conditioning which is standard in the UK but of course won't be standard here.

The higher spec Luna model does have chilled air, but the high spec model in the UK has climate control.

I'm presuming that going on Toyota Ireland's past and dubious distinction of removing vital items of safety equipment for the Irish market that the advanced VSC system and the rear window airbag won't feature on Irish models either, though I can't say for certain obviously.

Perhaps colm_mcm knows more and might correct me, or he might know but doesn't want to say just yet;)!

If I'm wrong on the safety thing then I will well and truly eat my hat:pac:!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I was only saying what Toyota told me (they should know), seems to be right with what E92 has posted also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does it actually *have* a back seat? If so, is it smaller than the one in the old Audi TT or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Is it any wonder we read items like this? I woukd love to get a Hummer and drive it over the bloody thing plus a few of the idiots who run Toyota. This is not a car this is an insult to other motorists. Yes sadly it will sell in Ireland particulary to the middle aged madges who think a yaris is too big.

Will Toyota and the rest of the asians eventually invent a machine that will shrink us down to midge size so they can manufacture more match boxes like this. I also bet they claim it is relible (more fantasy stuff from Toyota). Face it Toyotas are a piece of crap and this is like an award us who despise them; Cue burly Munster Rugby players being squeezed into one to prove how "roomy" it is. Plus the 99g/km to greenwash the whole thing over plus €100/year road tax notwithstanding the damage caused to other motorists stuck behind one puttering along at 60km/h.

I lol at this piece of recycled toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Stekelly wrote: »
    BTW, that €1000 equates to .27c per day. I lose more than that in change. 1000 over 10 years is literally pennies.

That's just careless man, if you pay more attention to your pockets you'll be 1000 euro better off in 10 years time! :D
    mumhaabu wrote: »
    Is it any wonder we read items like this? I woukd love to get a Hummer and drive it over the bloody thing plus a few of the idiots who run Toyota. This is not a car this is an insult to other motorists. Yes sadly it will sell in Ireland particulary to the middle aged madges who think a yaris is too big.

Will Toyota and the rest of the asians eventually invent a machine that will shrink us down to midge size so they can manufacture more match boxes like this. I also bet they claim it is relible (more fantasy stuff from Toyota). Face it Toyotas are a piece of crap and this is like an award us who despise them; Cue burly Munster Rugby players being squeezed into one to prove how "roomy" it is. Plus the 99g/km to greenwash the whole thing over plus €100/year road tax notwithstanding the damage caused to other motorists stuck behind one puttering along at 60km/h.

I lol at this piece of recycled toilet paper.

Are you having some kind of a meltdown? Where is all this vitriol coming from? There's absolutely nothing in this ugly boring little car to deserve such a vicious reaction. The Aygo on the other hand makes me depressed just to look at. But seriously. Chill out, getting so worked up over something that seems to be at least 70% in your imagination can't be good for you.

As for the reliability thing, I have a 15 year old Hiace that hasn't been serviced in 2 years and hasn't cost me a cent except for Diesel since I bought it. I once had a Fiat... that cost me 1200 euro in parts and labour over 2 years PLUS the cost of servicing (close to 800 over 2 years). So your claim that Toyota reliability is fantasy is um... fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Oh, and in reference to the article you quoted about Toyota making a loss, isn't the Hummer built by a company in danger of going bust because they make such ****e cars? :p

Advertisement