Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4

Options
  • 21-12-2008 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience or advice re this lens. With crimbo almost here I am looking at what options I have!

I had been looking at the nikon 55-200VR but it seems there is mixed reviews on this. Hi am newish to SLR's I got a D60 earlier this year and am looking to develop more. The f/1.4 seems like a good investment for the future - not sure if the 55-200VR is somthing I would use down the years?

Anyway any advice would be welcomed - one question I have is relating to the DX format; it is my understanding that due to the smaller sensor size of the D60 the 50mm will be more like 70mm - the question is what will I see through the view finder is it 100% of what will be captured or does it include the section around the outer that will 'miss' the sensor?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What you see through the viewfinder is exactly what you get, even with the conversion factor of 1.4.

The nikon nifty fifty is pretty good my dad had one for years and its still in pretty good condition.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tis just newhjabvent seen it myself, looks pretty ok. its a prime and its gonna give alot of dof, its not a dx lens so it will work ok and built in motor is also handy since your on a d60... is af really that important to you...a 50mm 1.8 is less than 80 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Check the sigma 50mm f/1.4
    it will autofocus on every camera and as per some reviews is the same or better to the nikon one

this is a review of the canon mount, shouldn't be much different to the Nikon mount http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/392-sigma_50_14_canon

have a search, in the recent days somebody was talking about these 2 lenses too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gammarid

thanks for responses, the sigma lens does look good but it seems to be as expensive (if not more so) than the Nikon.

re the AF, is it easier to AF with the 50mm - i was messing around with the 18-55 kit lens and I found that the results I got with a MF were not as good as what I got using the AF - although it is at least quuicker to AF on occasion when there is limited contrast.

I might be better off going for the f/1.8 and at some stage I may move up to a better body with an AF motor.

RE my other question - does any one have any experience with the 55-200VR, I feel I may get some use out of this but ultimetly find myself wanting more......

cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I have a normal 55-200 and I dont use it that much. I prefer my 70-300 but its an AF-D not AF-S so wont AF on my d40

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gammarid

Your comment on the 55-200mm is similar to a lot of what I have heard - I have very much cooled off on it.

By your response, you have another Nikon as well as the D40, as i mentioned above i would hope to upgrade at some point - you obviously held on to the D40, there seems to be little value in trading in, did you consider that at the time??

Advertisement