Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on trying to quit

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Hi all.Just found this thread so am a first time poster here.Read through some of the other posts so its good to get advice from people that have been where I am.
    Ive been smoking approximatly 16 years(im 29 now)and have finally decided to quit.Its a combination of reasons that have led me to this point.Obviously the health reasons(Ive lost a grandparent and an aunt to cancer directly caused by smoking)the cost(it makes me cringe when I think of the amount of money Ive spent on this habit)but basically I just dont want to do it anymore.
    Ive never made a concerted effort to quit but from January 1st I intend to do my damndest to get away of this habit so what I would like is some tips/advice from smokers that have managed to give up.Is there anything that you think has genuinly helped be it patches,chewing gum etc.I know there is no quick fix and ultimately its about willpower but is there something that makes it that little bit easier.Are there things I should avoid doing or try doing while getting off them.Finally have any former smokers put on alot of weight when they quit?Im not fat but the tendency to gain weight easily is there so I dont wanna become a porker.
    Thanks in advance for the advice people,any and all will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'm just back from holidays in Australia and was trying to find a copy of an anti-smoking ad I saw in the cinema while over there as I think it may help! it was so hard hitting- here is a short version- http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM
    I know ads are not really going to make much difference to most people because as an ex smoker I know it's easier to blank things out, after all there aren't many who don't realise smoking kills at this stage, but we all need help. When I quit I tried hypnosis, patches, gum etc but was unable to stay off the cancer sticks for long, last time I quit I used e-cigarettes after seeing them on sky news and then finding some info on another forum, I found them fantastic and have not looked back since, it's a little complicated to say how they work but you can read the details on the site I purchased from- www.myeasyquit.com I would also say though that the most important thing in quitting is the will to quit, you have to want to be rid of the habit, I really wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed, you'll be healthier, wealthier and happier!!!! Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Trust Me

IMO, don't get pulled in to thinking that these patches/chewing gum/whatever.

It will take willpower. If you do quit, I'll be damned if it was cos of the gum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fully agree 'Trust Me' it does take will power but no 2 people are the same, I know people who after 20 years smoking just decided to quit, cold turkey, and had no problems and never looked back. I on the other hand could never do it alone and needed assistance, I think mostly because I actually love smoking, I find it relaxes me but of course I know it was also killing me so I tried everything to give and found e-cigarettes really worked for me because I felt they really backed me up, I had it in my pocket when I went to the pub so I could relax again in the very place where my previous attempts to quit had run-a-ground and this gave me confidance to keep going and get over each low point as it occured and stay off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

For me picking a date to stop didn't work. I had a moment on which i thought okay this it i'm quiting. And hooray it worked. It's down to will power, and you most really want to quit smoking. But it's different for everyone. Good luck on stopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Aryelle

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Hi all.Just found this thread so am a first time poster here.Read through some of the other posts so its good to get advice from people that have been where I am.
    Ive been smoking approximatly 16 years(im 29 now)and have finally decided to quit.Its a combination of reasons that have led me to this point.Obviously the health reasons(Ive lost a grandparent and an aunt to cancer directly caused by smoking)the cost(it makes me cringe when I think of the amount of money Ive spent on this habit)but basically I just dont want to do it anymore.
    Ive never made a concerted effort to quit but from January 1st I intend to do my damndest to get away of this habit so what I would like is some tips/advice from smokers that have managed to give up.Is there anything that you think has genuinly helped be it patches,chewing gum etc.I know there is no quick fix and ultimately its about willpower but is there something that makes it that little bit easier.Are there things I should avoid doing or try doing while getting off them.Finally have any former smokers put on alot of weight when they quit?Im not fat but the tendency to gain weight easily is there so I dont wanna become a porker.
    Thanks in advance for the advice people,any and all will be very much appreciated.

When you are ready to quit and suffer no weight gain (I actually lost weight after I quit) hypnosis is the easiest way to do it. I went to Paula Cummins Hypnotist at (0404 61198) and am still smoke free 3 months later and have more money and better heatlh as a result. Whatever method you choose, I wish you the very best of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Im off them now a good 5 years , never looked back , didnt use any patch or anything , just one day i said no more smoking for me , good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rnadal

Chantix is one of those FDA approved drugs which can be used to get over smoking habit. It works on body by giving you the same feel good effect like smoking and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. You can have all the information on chantix here http://www.chantixhome.com/ This medicine should only be used in accordance with the instructions of a physician as there are various side effects which may vary from person to person and it includes change of taste, sleeplessness and many more. I have smoked for more than 10 yrs, but now I am spending a smoke free life from last 2 months. Thanks to chantix. Along with having this medicine, you should also have will power and feeling that you want to get over this habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

rnadal wrote: »
    I am spending a smoke free life from last 2 months. Thanks to chantix. Along with having this medicine, you should also have will power and feeling that you want to get over this habit.

well done on quitting.

sorry to be anal about this but its not a habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

good advert.
    Scare tactics never stopped me. Smokers block out the bad stuff. Tend not to give it too much thought. Can't afford to. its a loser.

I knew this of course and in the end I did figure out my own way to quit.

Armed with the knowledge of two things ;

1. it takes 72 hours to clear the system of nicotine so just shut the f*** up and get myself over this cold turkey time horizon. (it actually passes quickly enough). I sucked a dummy white stick as a placebo to help with mental anguish but no replacement therapy stuff. That wouldn't do anything for clearing the nicotine out of the system.

2. Once I got past 72 hours, vowed never to take another puff because I would have to back to the start.

I didn't like being a smoker addicted to the weed. It helped to remind myself of why I was quitting especially when I doubted myself in the 72 hour sweat.

My quitometer helped too ;
    Hi Pal! You quit 2 weeks, 5 days, 15 hours, 50 minutes & 40 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 393 cigs, saved EUR 159 and added 1.36 days to your life.

Cool. Cold Turkey behind me.

I'm not doing that again so therefore I don't take another pull ever.

Hope I'm right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

You will only ever quit smoking when you want to. What I mean by that is really want to. If you are quitting due to pressure from others then imo you will never suceed. I'm off them now 5 years, quit cold turkey, but I was at the stage where I simply had enough of wasting money and ruining my health. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement