Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a car

Options
  • 20-12-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭

My friend has a car parked outside his house in which the tax expired at the end of October. He told me he will wait til January to tax it and then drive the car. He is still insured on the car and it is Ncted. The reason he he is leaving it outside the house unused until January is bececause he is working in a diffrent location then his normal place and would prefare to take publilc transport to this location then drive. Could he be pulled up for having expired tax on his car if a Garda saw it i.e walking by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

billyhead wrote: »
    Could he be pulled up for having expired tax on his car if a Garda saw it i.e walking by.

If it's on a public road then yes. If it's on his property then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

He's still going to have to pay the tax from October until January unless he gets a form signed by the gardai stating it was off the road when he goes to re-tax it by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    He's still going to have to pay the tax from October until January unless he gets a form signed by the gardai stating it was off the road when he goes to re-tax it by the way

Which is a very simple, no questions asked process. Here's the form.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF100A_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

Another question I have relating to my friend is that I am thinking of purchasing a second hand car privately rather then through a dealer. Say the tax has expired by a few months with the car I get woud I have to pay for those few months worth of tax if it was chnaged over to me to be the registered owner, or would I have to just tax it from the moment I becasme the regsitered owner i.e if this happend tomorrow and I paid by yearly tax would the cert expire tomorrow one year on, and also how would the tax authorities or myself for that matter know that the car was driven without valid tax paid

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

billyhead wrote: »
    Another question I have relating to my friend is that I am thinking of purchasing a second hand car privately rather then through a dealer. Say the tax has expired by a few months with the car I get woud I have to pay for those few months worth of tax if it was chnaged over to me to be the registered owner, or would I have to just tax it from the moment I becasme the regsitered owner i.e if this happend tomorrow and I paid by yearly tax would the cert expire tomorrow one year on.

You only pay for when you owned it however, car tax works to month end at all times so if you bought a car and taxed it tomorrow, you would pay for all of december

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your friend parks his car in a public place with no road tax then your friend could receive a fine for not having valid motor tax and for not displaying a valid motor tax disc. He needs to keep the car off the road on private property, ie in a driveway or garage.

Regarding your second hand car, you only pay the motor tax from the begining of the month you become the owner of it. So if you become the owner on 31/12/08 you will have to pay the motor tax for the whole month of Decemeber. Become the owner on 1/1/09 and pay the motor tax from 1st January 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks Bazz for clearing that up. Much appreciated

Advertisement