Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odds on Joe O'Reilly appeal being successful

Options
  • 20-12-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Earlier today I tried to get odds on Joe O'Reilly's appeal being succesful from Paddy Power online. They wouldn't give me any.

"Thank you for contacting Paddy Power Customer Support
    Unfortunately, we do not have any prices to offer on this market.

Irrespective of your thoughts or feelings on this case you should still be able to bet on it, no? Surely morals shouldn't come in to betting - I thought PP had an ad out a while back saying you could bet on "Anything".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Sigh..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What if you were a juror or if you were the judge etc,etc?
    I think when PP say you can bet on anything, they might have been talking about a SPORTING selection.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What odds would I get on such a bet being ruled a contempt of court?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

I see absolutely no reason how betting on the outcome of any court case could be deemed to be in contempt of court, on what grounds? It can't be prejudicial to the outcome, surely? Furthermore, as someone mentioned above - it was possible to make bets on the OJ simpson trial, so why not this? Both murder trials, but possibly too close to home for PP?
    Some of PPs responses below -
    Unfortunately, we do not have any prices to offer on this market.
    PP reserves the right to refuse to offer bets on any market that it deems unsuitable or commercially unviable.
    Our traders are not at liberty to discuss the reasons and factors involved in creating prices and markets.
    We have decided not to open the market on this selection. Apologies for any inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

make bets on the OJ simpson trial, so why not this?

Few reasons:
    1: OJ Simpson case was 7,000 miles away
    2: It was in the days before the internet had taken off so anybody closely involved with the case wouldn't have been able to have a bet.
    3: It was the original case so there was a jury involved, in this case there is only 3 judges and anway gambling is banned in most places in the states.
    4: The climate has changed a buit since then so a bet like this nowadays would not be welcomed by the people who run the country.
    possibly too close to home for PP?
    Exactly
    Some of PPs responses below -
    What else would you expect from them?
    Try any other bookie for the same bet and you will get the same reaction, nobody would give you a price on it (Apart from thecornerboy!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,299 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This a wind-up right?

Ridiculous thread

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

No it isn't a wind up. It's an appeal case that I want to place a bet on and have been unable to do so. <irrelevant bull****>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

PP would obviously get bad publicity if they took such a bet so it's not surprising at all that they don't have a market for it. Of course they'd reject a bet like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 stuttgartkelly

wb wrote: »
    PP would obviously get bad publicity if they took such a bet so it's not surprising at all that they don't have a market for it. Of course they'd reject a bet like that.

They took bad publicity for taking bets on the next Pope so that is nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Look Paddy Power are never afraid to be controversial, the ad of the Last supper for example. However in this case they are spot on not making a market on this.

I don't care what people say but trying to make money on something like this is morally wrong. A woman was bludgeoned to death in her own home, heaping misery and torture upon her family and everyone that loved her and you want to make money on the outcome of the appeal of the man who was tried and convicted of her murder by a jury of his peers?

That is wrong man, absolutely wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Browney7 wrote: »
    Look Paddy Power are never afraid to be controversial, the ad of the Last supper for example. However in this case they are spot on not making a market on this.

I don't care what people say but trying to make money on something like this is morally wrong. A woman was bludgeoned to death in her own home, heaping misery and torture upon her family and everyone that loved her and you want to make money on the outcome of the appeal of the man who was tried and convicted of her murder by a jury of his peers?

What he said. Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

This post is a wind up surely and should probably be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Browney7 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. Shame on you, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

wb wrote: »
    This post is a wind up surely and should probably be locked.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Locked while I read over this crap.

EDIT: Irrespective of the subject of the bet, PP wouldn't give you odds. Unlucky. Nothing else to see here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement