Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation question

Options
  • 20-12-2008 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have read a few books and heard a few teachings that talk about single pointedness. I was wondering, when focusing on the breath like I normally do, am I aiming for a tunnel vision type complete focus or am I observing the breath while remaining open to other senses? For example, if a car was to drive past while meditating is it best to hear the car, take note and drop it, or am I aiming to be so focused on the breath that I dont hear the car at all?

Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

This thread should probably merge into the “Meditation a major struggle” thread. I would also suggest that thread be renamed to “Advice for meditation” or something that doesn't focus on meditation as being a problem to be solved.

Having accomplished one-pointed meditation means that you can place your attention on an object, e.g. breath, and not become lost in distractions. It also has the sense of letting go of the notions like “I (subject) am watching (action) the breath (object)”. There is the experience of breath, a variety of other experiences and simply being, spacious, generous and open in whatever arises. There are always experiences of many kinds arising, be they from external things like cars or internal things like memories and emotions. Yes, it is kind of like taking note and dropping it but then again, not so much of the act of doing so. Whatever rises in experience, allow it to be without focusing on it or trying to get rid of it. It dissolves naturally by itself.

I don't think you aim for a tunnel vision type of focus which tries to excludes everything. Applying our mind to focusing on a single object is a way of coming back into the present moment whenever we become distracted. When various experiences arise, we tend to see them as an object and develop an interest in them as a “something” to grasp onto. A story develops out of this and we get lost in distraction. So using an simple object to focus on helps to let go of these distractions.
    There is mindfulness of the object, paying attention to it but in a very light way, not trying to focus all attention on it. There is awareness that we are mindful and awareness when we get distracted. There is also awareness of different experiences arising. There is spaciousness, just simply being, not particularly trying to do something or achieve some result. Let go of all the ideas of trying to meditate or that meditation should be a particular way. Try to avoid getting into a dull state where there is no awareness. When you feel there is dullness, shake it off by straightening up, opening eyes, breathing more deeply and bringing more clarity and awareness. Clarity of awareness something to encourage. If there is lots of distraction and you keep wandering off getting lost in thoughts then apply a stronger focus on mindfulness of the object. When there is less distraction and you are feeling more settled you can relax the focus a little and just remain spaciously present to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

bou wrote: »
    If there is lots of distraction and you keep wandering off getting lost in thoughts then apply a stronger focus on mindfulness of the object. When there is less distraction and you are feeling more settled you can relax the focus a little and just remain spaciously present to experience.

Thanks for your reply. I think my confusion came from experiencing no distractions when I put 100% focus on an object. But this seemed to take away from just being. This part at the end of ur post has really cleared it up for me thanks. I think I see now how it all fits together and will try to put it into action :)

Advertisement