Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fish in a Barrel

Options
  • 20-12-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Well I'm expecting another 2 points now Grrrr...
    One of the new vans was on the M50 after the ballymun exit (southbound) this morning at 6am when I was heading to work.

It pisses me off to get done there (more than likely), like hooting fish in a barrel. I'd say of the 5 cars I could see ahead of me all 5 will be got too. Grrrr!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Have they sorted out that notification problem on the posting of the speed limits? An Iris Ofigiúil I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Talivan are out to earn money simple as.

They cannot put the vans in dangerous locations because the locations are dangerous, mostly.

Your lucky the M50 is 60kph. They could easily have put it at 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Berty wrote: »
    The Talivan are out to earn money simple as.

They cannot put the vans in dangerous locations because the locations are dangerous, mostly.

Your lucky the M50 is 60kph. They could easily have put it at 30kph.

True, if it was 30km/h, I'd be looking at a ban :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I was lucky this week. August I was coming onto the N8 from the M8 Fermoy Toll road doing 126. Now it slows to 100 on the N8 but nobody stick to it. I was caught by a biker cop hiding in the middle divider! Pulls me over the usual stuff.
    So the fixed penalty never arrives and I forgot ll about it. The I get the summons to appear in court. So last week there I was in front of the Judge. Comes to me and I stand up in front of him. He asks "Why no solicitor?" I say "I am pleading guilty Judge, and would like to apologise for wasting the courts time here today, but the fixed penalty notice never arrived, I assure you if it had I would have paid it and would not be here today". He looks at me, says "€125 fine, 1 month to pay.....no points!!!" Woo Hoo!!
    God bless the justice system in the country!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I was lucky this week. August I was coming onto the N8 from the M8 Fermoy Toll road doing 126. Now it slows to 100 on the N8 but nobody stick to it. I was caught by a biker cop hiding in the middle divider! Pulls me over the usual stuff.
    So the fixed penalty never arrives and I forgot ll about it. The I get the summons to appear in court. So last week there I was in front of the Judge. Comes to me and I stand up in front of him. He asks "Why no solicitor?" I say "I am pleading guilty Judge, and would like to apologise for wasting the courts time here today, but the fixed penalty notice never arrived, I assure you if it had I would have paid it and would not be here today". He looks at me, says "€125 fine, 1 month to pay.....no points!!!" Woo Hoo!!
    God bless the justice system in the country!

Emm i think he didnt mention points because he has no control over them. If you are convicted in court you get the points automatically.

Normally the judge will say "convicted, fine, time to pay, time in prison in default" and then say "you will probably get points but its got nothing to do with me"

Let us know if you get the lette from DOE or whoever issues them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

lafors wrote: »
    Well I'm expecting another 2 points now Grrrr...
    One of the new vans was on the M50 after the ballymun exit (southbound) this morning at 6am when I was heading to work.

It pisses me off to get done there (more than likely), like hooting fish in a barrel. I'd say of the 5 cars I could see ahead of me all 5 will be got too. Grrrr!!

Jesus, Have they started this **** now. Thats a licence to print money because I've only seen 2 people adher to the 60K ever on the M50. I'd wonder what threshold its set at to snap people at.

OP was it as well marked as they were letting on before on RTE news

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

I've only seen 2 people adher to the 60K ever on the M50.

Jaysus, I really don't want to get involved here because I always get beaten to death in these discussions.

Maybe the reason why the van was there is given away in your quote? If nobody sticks to the limit then that's why it's there. We'd all be giving out even more if they had one on O'Connell bridge at 8.30am where no car manages more than 10kph!

All the same, I would prefer to see every school in the country with a Gatso parked outside before they start worrying about anywhere else. Vans are used for gathering revenue in this country not for enhancing safety. For that the RSA and Gardai should be hung out to dry. All the same, if you have personal problems or egoes that prevent you from sticking to a published limit then you can have no complaint.

I got stung recently on the Airport/M1 link road. There was only one other car on the road at the time and he was behind me, so I was doing nothing unsafe considering the conditions at that particular moment but my own inattention cost me. C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

All the same, I would prefer to see every school in the country with a Gatso parked outside before they start worrying about anywhere else.

There'd be uproar. Stupid kids would be gettign run over trying to cross the road from behind the gatso van.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

lafors wrote: »
    like hooting fish in a barrel.
    Or lemmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Jesus, Have they started this **** now. Thats a licence to print money because I've only seen 2 people adher to the 60K ever on the M50. I'd wonder what threshold its set at to snap people at.

OP was it as well marked as they were letting on before on RTE news

It had yellow/orange stripes on the back but I don't think they were the reflective type, if they were then I didn't see. There looked like there was a garda logo on the side and the window on the back door was very small approx 1ft*1ft.

Ta me anseo made a good point, no one is obeying the 60km/h.
    Still pissed off though as the new road is in great condition where it was, and there were no construction lads working on it this morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement