Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports photographer vid using 5D Mk II

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would throw this into the loop especially as how well its done. Check out this link, friggin amazing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Looks awesome and I'm really interested but I just don't know what I'd do with the video.
    I wouldn't really have an output for it. Interested to know what Fajitas and the others are planning to do with theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

One of the guys last week used his 5D MKII during the Heineken Cup match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

kensutz wrote: »

Would Sky have a problem with this, They have the rights to the games akaik!

He wasn't broadcasting the game. Just testing out the video function and he works for an agency.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Would Sky have a problem with this, They have the rights to the games akaik!

Sky have the broadcast rights, so as long as he's not broadcasting live, he could be ok.

Many others are given access to record video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

He wasn't broadcasting the game. Just testing out the video function and he works for an agency.

Would he be allowed set up a professional level video camera to test out?

I can see this being a major can of worms, just imagine the BBC website having agency video for their website while sky own the rights. Look at boxing after any of the big fights the other networks only have one or two stills to show over their reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I hear ya!

I believe that the Video Function on DSLR's will cause problems for snappers in the future, say for gig Photography where P&S are tolerated and DSLR's less so when promoters etc. realise the video potential of these I can imagine a blanket ban!

nilhg wrote: »
    Would he be allowed set up a professional level video camera to test out?

I can see this being a major can of worms, just imagine the BBC website having agency video for their website while sky own the rights. Look at boxing after any of the big fights the other networks only have one or two stills to show over their reports.

Don't ask me! Also like Paul and I said, he wasn't broadcasting anything. Also people were allowed use video cameras at both the Munster vs New Zealand game and Autumn Series at Croke Park.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I believe that the Video Function on DSLR's will cause problems for snappers in the future, say for gig Photography where P&S are tolerated and DSLR's less so when promoters etc. realise the video potential of these I can imagine a blanket ban!

For most gigs, it states on the tickets that cameras are not permitted. Of course, that doesn't stop people bringing them and taking picts.

I guess the difference between what is permitted, and what you can get away with are a bit different.

Yeah, HD video on a camera will change the nature of photography/video in future. I guess it's called progress.

For the rugby, you do, from time to time, see other people/companies recording video, even though Sky (or BBC, or RTE, or Setanta) have an exclusive right to broadcast. Nothing new there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Paulw wrote: »

Yeah, HD video on a camera will change the nature of photography/video in future. I guess it's called progress.

For the rugby, you do, from time to time, see other people/companies recording video, even though Sky (or BBC, or RTE, or Setanta) have an exclusive right to broadcast. Nothing new there really.

I'm thinking of the program Hector did with Trevor Brennan before one of Toulouse's HRC matches, IIRC there was video shot in the dressing room, the stand, and the afters but none of any actual play. Also some other broadcasters will have highlights packages.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

paudie wrote: »
    Looks awesome and I'm really interested but I just don't know what I'd do with the video.
    I wouldn't really have an output for it. Interested to know what Fajitas and the others are planning to do with theirs?

did a few tests with the video on the camera today. looks great but my computer is struggling with opening the huge HD files. May have to splash out more cash to get a computer that can handle it

I'm planning on using the video to make music videos. And maybe to do some documentary film making

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I normally shoot my gig vids with my Sony camcorder but am dying to see what it's like using the 5DII, I know for a fact I'll def have to buy an external mic though...not sure which one though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I think nikons have a time limit on their videos, and quality is cack, tho canon do make excellent hd cams

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I normally shoot my gig vids with my Sony camcorder but am dying to see what it's like using the 5DII, I know for a fact I'll def have to buy an external mic though...not sure which one though.

If you want to do it right, get a completely seperate recording unit - The 5D's mike is mono only...

paudie wrote: »
    Interested to know what Fajitas and the others are planning to do with theirs?

Arty farty wankery :)

As far as I know the 5DII in tandem with an external mic is actually stereo, googling now to double check this.

/edit

Yeah checked a few sites and it is indeed stereo with an external mic.

"Furthermore, sound is captured via a built-in mono microphone and one can add an external stereo microphone"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

would it not be easier to plug a mini dic or something into the decks and stick it on over the video, would give alot better quality? Thats what I used to do when I was recording stuff for ucd ents gigs.

nah too much hassle, I like the diy thing....
    My vids have fairly good sound on mySony, thanks to an external mic, its quite small so its no hassle whatsoever.

It took Bink Rad video tools to convert a 50 second full sized .mov video to.avi 6 minutes.
    Bad news is it didn't work! with the file originally 228mb it turned into a 4 gig file!! and when I tried to play it back using WMP the film is in 4 squares!
    Back to the drawing board!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Arty farty wankery :)

Does that mean it's the male equivalent of a dildo? :pac:

• Advertisement

No... Sorry to dissapoint you.

Google might be able to give you a hand if that's what you're after though, begging the pun.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

If you want to do it right, get a completely seperate recording unit - The 5D's mike is mono only...
    As far as I know the 5DII in tandem with an external mic is actually stereo, googling now to double check this.

/edit

Yeah checked a few sites and it is indeed stereo with an external mic.

"Furthermore, sound is captured via a built-in mono microphone and one can add an external stereo microphone"

I have seen tons of examples where people have used external mics and the sound quality is very good compared to using the internal mic.

It's a pain in the arse to get it sync'd back up, but it makes a big difference quality-wise if that's what yer after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

It's a pain in the arse to get it sync'd back up, but it makes a big difference quality-wise if that's what yer after.
    You could make your own clapper board out of botched picture frames and a white-balance sheet, then you just need fresh strawberries and orchids and other random extravagances for the prima-donna thesbians.

Bump:

Have a look at this sample: http://vimeo.com/2605924

Advertisement