Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to be an atheist and a Buddhist

Options
  • 20-12-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that Buddhism is essentially an atheistic form of religion. Your thoughts ?

As an atheist I have great respect for the meditation aspect of Buddhism. I think that sitting still with a calm and focussed mind) can only be good for you.

Sorry if that was a rather simplistic interpretation of meditation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

I think its definatly possible to be both, Ive seen a good few vids on youtube of western monks and nuns who call it a science of mind rather than a religion.

I think im right in saying that buddha said to try the things he says out, if they work for you then keep them, if they dont then disregard them.

If the religious aspects dont work for you dont worry, just use the bits that do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I read somewhere that Buddhism is essentially an atheistic form of religion. Your thoughts ?

As an atheist I have great respect for the meditation aspect of Buddhism. I think that sitting still with a calm and focussed mind) can only be good for you.

Sorry if that was a rather simplistic interpretation of meditation.

Welcome. In answer to the first part of your question. There are Buddhists who are Atheist, who are Theists, who are Agnostics. In Buddhism it does not matter since Buddhism does not concern itself with God(s). At its base level it is concerned with life. About each of us creating the opportunity to live a purposeful and happy life, what ever that means to each of us. What other thoughts, rituals, ideals we take on board, or discard as not suitable for us, is entirely up to each individual. All that is asked is that we respect each individual's right to choose for themselves, and continue to discover for ourselves. And its fun:)

In answer to the second part, Meditation is good for everyone irrespective of class, color or creed. Everyone needs to find time for a little quality time with themselves. The world runs at a hectic rate. We miss so much of what goes on around us. I use meditation as a kind of a break, it gives me time to be alone with myself and I can look at what happened during my day/week. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

By achtungbarry - Is is possible to be an atheist and a Buddhist?

In the beginning, yes.

But eventually, Buddhism and meditation will destroy atheism - and all other "isms" - even Buddhism ;) - in ones mind. The goal of Buddhism and meditation is an empty, open "beginner's mind" of "don't know" which is incompatible with any conviction about God's existence or non-existence, or any other conviction about anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

im atheist but out of all the religions i would have most respect for buddhism. Seems to be a grand peaceful belief/frame of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

There is no God in Buddhism (though many traditional Buddhists are functionally theist) but most western atheists would have the same "there's no proof!" type of problems with Buddha's claims as with those of Jesus.
    In the beginning, yes.

But eventually, Buddhism and meditation will destroy atheism - and all other "isms" - even Buddhism ;) - in ones mind. The goal of Buddhism and meditation is an empty, open "beginner's mind" of "don't know" which is incompatible with any conviction about God's existence or non-existence, or any other conviction about anything else.
    Excuse my ignorance but this sounds an awful lot like intellectual suicide.

• Advertisement

By Hurin - Excuse my ignorance but this sounds an awful lot like intellectual suicide.

Better than actual suicide - as so often the case with philosophers and genius intellectuals, no?

But, to address your concern more directly. Slowing, calming, and transcending the mind is not supposed to be an intellectual, or intelligence suicide. It is getting yourself completely out of the way and into a space of infinite possibility and uncertainty which means facing life and yourself as it truly is, rather than the way we construct it with our minds.

No matter the level of sophistication by the most intelligent philosopher or intellectual...it can never be defined. As it says in the Tao...the Tao that can be named is not the Tao. A wide open mind - to all possibilities in utter uncertainty - is a completely free, still mind. At that point of no thought - it is like a Ferrari in neutral. Or a VW in neutral - your intelligence level does not matter. That is why Alexander the Great can learn from a beggar in the street. This kind of mind is simply awake. Awake has nothing to do with logic or intellect.

Faith, though, is an intellectual suicide, where the mind is still involved, but disregards logic. Faith realizes the truth can't be figured out, so it just makes up something that works. But even faith is still a mind "in gear".

The intellect tries to figure out the truth, which is impossible. It can easily drive the thinker to insanity and suicide unless a master is around. Or, the intellectual will settle for a "conclusion" and stay there proclaiming it truth, at which point it is nothing but faith in disguise and a new "ism". Atheism is a perfect example.

Meditation is a way to come across the truth by happenstance if you're lucky and if you can handle it. Not everyone is ready to face infinite uncertainty, infinite possibility, and eternal not-knowing, and the surrender this entails, even though it means liberation. That is why meditation is so difficult to begin with; and faith or philosophy so much more popular, but then fails us.

Jesus said: "You shall know the truth and it shall set you free." He didn't say: "Don't worry, kids - you'll figure it out". It is not a question of figuring it out, it is a question of being able to face it - this already existing truth within all of us. Love and trust are essential. Most people need Jesus, God, Buddha, Mohammad, Saints, Santa Clause, pink Unicorns, or a puppy to relate this love and trust to someone or something - once again a handicap we have because of our logical minds. Even atheist worship Richard Dawkins, for example, and Buddhists the Dalai Lama. But - love and trust can also be cultivated - without any reference point, which is the point of meditation. When this love and trust reaches infinite patience, we're home and set free.

So - 40 days in the desert - regularly - for everyone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I am a non-theistic Buddhist.

And MeditationMom... "Athiests worship Richard Dawkins"? I think that's incorrect.

by Yoda - And MeditationMom... "Athiests worship Richard Dawkins"? I think that's incorrect.

You're right. Certainly worship is too strong a word. Idolize...adore...maybe. Some people are quite obsessed with him. Not all atheists - I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

"Admire" is sufficient.

OK - "admire", Master Yoda ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Húrin wrote: »
    There is no God in Buddhism (though many traditional Buddhists are functionally theist) but most western atheists would have the same "there's no proof!" type of problems with Buddha's claims as with those of Jesus.

Yes, but there's no 'you must believe this' clause in Buddhism - quite the opposite in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

I would consider myself to be a follower of Buddhist philosophy, and I do not believe in a god.

It is my conviction that all the answers we need are inside our minds and if we look hard enough we will find them. I have faith that the Buddha found these answers, but even if he didn't it does not effect my search. If I found answers inside my mind which contradicted the Buddha's then I would need examine this, and I would feel confident while doing so that the Buddha would approve. If I found evidence inside that seemed to suggest that there was a god then I would need to examine this. I don't think that it is correct to approach Buddhism with a closed mind. I do not think the Buddha wanted slavish followers, but instead people who could see what he had found.

There are many arguments within Atheism that I agree with, but I feel uncomfortable with people who define themselves by what they are not. I agree with Atheists that belief in a god seems unreasonable, but you never know. Atheists just seem to me to be too evangelistic.

There are many who consider themselves atheist and Buddhism, but I would like to think that Buddhism makes them more compassionate atheists.

Advertisement