Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed an Abandoned BMW M5 today in Limerick!

Options
  • 20-12-2008 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests! Got a late call today to do some work in Dublin. So about 11.45 I left Raheen and went along the N20 towards the N7. Coming up to the roundabout by the Quality Hotel (renamed now) and I notice this light blue BMW parked on the side of the rb. Strange I thought. Then I noticed yellow regs so thought to myself that customs must have just caught someone. Then on closer inspection as I am passing it by, i was like 'WTF'?

Quad exhausts, side air fins, m wheels, M5 badge, the works. Couldn't believe my eyes so I had to do a double take and circled the rb again. There was a fantastic light blue M5 literally just left in a pile of gravel with the front right tyre 'completely' off the wheel! Nowhere to be seen.

I've seen many abandoned cars in recent months, but none that came close to the value of this beast. I felt almost felt like I should go back and give it a hug! What do ye reckon? Customs? Stolen and fled from?

There was nobody even remotely close to the vehicle when I passed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Did you phone it in? place your hand on the bonnet to see if she was still hot? was the rim damaged? i.e was it driven hard after/or as the tyre was coming off or did the driver pull in as soon as it came off.

It could be innocent enough and the driver was lucky and is currently sleeping it off some where local until the morning to get a tyre sorted,it sounds very suspicious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

No I didn't do anything. Its a very busy roundabout (links the main cork/limerick/dublin road) and I was late enough myself so I had to keep driving. I've never seen anything like it. I got back too late tonight to even bother going out to see if it was still there. It did not look like there was anyone in the driver/passenger seats anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

tossy wrote: »
    It could be innocent enough and the driver was lucky and is currently sleeping it off some where local until the morning to get a tyre sorted,it sounds very suspicious though.

If you owned an M5 would you leave it ous somewhere someone could even see it, forget about take it.

Sounds very dodgy. Even rich people get their super saloons moved if something like a blow-out happens they don't just leave it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

true graham but M5s are dime a dozen in england not necessarily the preserve of the rich,the M5 would also be a popular company car (albeit it a more high end one),maybe the innocent motorist thought to him or herself if i was back home in england id get it towed but sure tihs is ireland it'll be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

There's zero chance its been abandoned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

If its still there this morning, it could be missing more than a tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Passed there at 7am this morning and didnt notice any car, must be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Not dissing a area but is not the Quailty hotel the entrance to Southhill where there is a usually a garda checkpoint?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

OP did you also notice that the rear suspension had collapsed. I would imaginge thats why it was abandoned.

I saw it myself just off the left of the roundabout on the gravel. I couldnt stop for a picture because of the location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Insurance job I reckon.

• Advertisement

Berty wrote: »
    OP did you also notice that the rear suspension had collapsed. I would imaginge thats why it was abandoned.

I saw it myself just off the left of the roundabout on the gravel. I couldnt stop for a picture because of the location.

Ya the whole body of the car did seem to be very low, with parts of the chassis almost touching the gravel. Initially I thought it may have been a customs job, but I think its more likely to have been a robbery or an insurance job.

insurance job?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Could have been somebody coming home from the UK for Christmas and loaded up way to much and the suspension just gave way.

Berty wrote: »
    Could have been somebody coming home from the UK for Christmas and loaded up way to much and the suspension just gave way.

:)

Don't make M5's like they used to eh?

I reckon it looked as if it was almost driven into the ground. Or else, if it had been abandoned for whatever reason, some nice folk could have gotten to it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I recall about 5 years ago, a friend's E34 M5 was taken from his home (house was burgled). Gardai called, etc. and details taken. It was spotted dumped on the M50 two days by another friend later and seemingly had been there for a while. Balaclava's, shells and other stuff in the back and the engine fatally wounded with a broken crank. Only when the gardai were told about the contents of the rear seat, were they interested. It was taken away then for fingerprinting, etc.
    The M5 in the original post may well have been dumped but possibly not by the owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

kbannon wrote: »
    the engine fatally wounded with a broken crank. !

Excuse my ignorance, but can you possibly drive it that hard?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Fizman wrote: »
    As the title suggests! Got a late call today to do some work in Dublin. So about 11.45 I left Raheen and went along the N20 towards the N7. Coming up to the roundabout by the Quality Hotel (renamed now) and I notice this light blue BMW parked on the side of the rb. Strange I thought. Then I noticed yellow regs so thought to myself that customs must have just caught someone. Then on closer inspection as I am passing it by, i was like 'WTF'?

Quad exhausts, side air fins, m wheels, M5 badge, the works. Couldn't believe my eyes so I had to do a double take and circled the rb again. There was a fantastic light blue M5 literally just left in a pile of gravel with the front right tyre 'completely' off the wheel! Nowhere to be seen.

I've seen many abandoned cars in recent months, but none that came close to the value of this beast. I felt almost felt like I should go back and give it a hug! What do ye reckon? Customs? Stolen and fled from?

There was nobody even remotely close to the vehicle when I passed it.

I saw that car myself. and said the same. WTF? and something was up with the rear suspension too!

It was there friday morning as thats when I saw it!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Excuse my ignorance, but can you possibly drive it that hard?
    I guess if you drive a car like you stole it then it may be possible! Never did it myself! :D

Advertisement