Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master of Economics (Trinity, Maynooth, UCD)

Options
  • 20-12-2008 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I'm considering applying for a Masters of Economics degree at either Trinity, Maynooth or UCD. Does anyone know anything about the courses availabe e.g. difficulty of securing a place, work load, reputation, employment opportunities, course content etc.

I am in my final year of my BComm degree at UCC majoring in Economics, I took statistics and maths modules in second year, I expect to get a 2.1 this year. Does this put me in a good position to get a place on the MSc Economics at Trinity or the other colleges?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I'm considering applying for a Masters of Economics degree at either Trinity, Maynooth or UCD.
    I did my undergrad in Trinity and I'm currently doing the MA in UCD so I know a bit about those two courses, but less about the NUIM MA.
    Does anyone know anything about the courses availabe e.g. difficulty of securing a place
    I think all of them only require a II.1 for entry. In UCD there are some ways of getting in if you have a II.2 I think.
    work load
    In the first semester in UCD you have three subjects (micro, macro and econometrics), each two hours per week. Econometrics has a two-hour lab and there is a bi-weekly tutorial in the other two. It's manageable.
    Trinity obviously has the best university reputation. UCD Economics has the better reputation in the discipline. NUIM's reputation doesn't register outside of Ireland, from what I can see. Reputation only really matters if you plan to go abroad for research.
    employment opportunities
    They'll be poor for the next couple of years.
    course content etc.
    Trinity's is Micro/Macro/Econometrics before Xmas, then more Micro/Macro/Econometrics afterwards, with a thesis on top. UCD's is Micro/Macro/Econometrics, then field options (Environmental, Labour, etc.) or more Micro/Macro/Econometrics which allows you to enter the PhD programme automatically if you get II.1s in them. The TCD Masters requires you submit homeworks every week as far as I know; there's no such thing in UCD.
    I am in my final year of my BComm degree at UCC majoring in Economics, I took statistics and maths modules in second year, I expect to get a 2.1 this year. Does this put me in a good position to get a place on the MSc Economics at Trinity or the other colleges?
    A II.1 in Economics will get you in. Might be safer to get >65 though. If you haven't taken much quantitative courses, expect to sweat if you go to Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Trinity obviously has the best university reputation. UCD Economics has the better reputation in the discipline. NUIM's reputation doesn't register outside of Ireland, from what I can see. Reputation only really matters if you plan to go abroad for research.

Just on this point, seemingly undergrad reputations are judged on the university and postgrad reputations are judged on the department. UCD does have a very good (and highly rated) economics department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

I shouldn't have much trouble getting 65 or over in the economics content of my degree (40 ECTS) but my accounting minor (20 ECTS) might bring me down overall. Will the accounting modules impact on my application?

Also with regards to Trinity do you know what specific topics are covered in the econometrics part of the course? I'm taking econometrics right now and its quite theoretical i.e. no calculations just working with assumptions and deriving tests and I expect to do quite well in it. Can I expect more theory in Trinity? is econometrics at UCD more applied or just less intense?

Thanks for all the information so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Did my MBA in TCD and it was (a piece of p***). If you are serious decide what you want to do and follow the quality staff (journals) in the area. Barry UCD is gone to TCD.. PP is gone to UCD, UCD still has Norton, Galway is on the ball right now, TCD also has a news worthy banking economist (..), ... Decidewhere you want to go, lift the phone and call the head of department. It's 2010, Education is a business too.

Advertisement