Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement car after roundabout accident

Options
  • 20-12-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

I was exiting from the roundabout at the Douglas Court shopping center (Cork) earlier this evening when a taxi driver coming on to the roundabout didn't yield and ended up damaging the front wheel, possibly suspension and axle also.

I my opinion it would seem to be that he was definitely in the wrong. A Garda was present and although he didn't admit he was in the wrong it was clear that he was. I had right of way and he was in the outer lane of two lanes entering the roundabout, the car on the inner lane stopped, I had indicated and was exiting but he failed to stop.

The thing is I don't have breakdown on my insurance, so I can't get a replacement car from my insurance company(Zurich).

Will I be able to get a replacement car from his insurance company(AXA), the guy who towed the car for me said I should, as he thought it was clear cut where the fault lay.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't think getting a car has anything to do with breakdown cover. Best to just ask your ins co, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If the other insurance company accept fault then they'll sort you out with car rental. I'd suggest you get on to them (the other guys insurance company) ASAP and get this reported.

If they are delaying you might be better to just bite the bullet and claim through your own insurance without car hire, and then have your insurance company recover it back from the guys you say are in the wrong. (this shouldn't affect your policy once they get the money back)

Ask your insurance company if they will provide car rental under your COMP - some do, some don't.

Roundabouts are messy things .. don't just assume, act now.

Looking at http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/ex00.asp?ID=RIGHTCOV it suggests that if you have COMP you get up to 10 days courtesy car while your car is in the garage. I'd assume they'll want you to use their garage but you shouldn't have any problems once your car isn't a write off. Ring your insurance company and see. They'll know your policy better than anyone here will.

Regardless of whether or not the OP has comp, i'd imagine he's entitled to a car if he's not at fault.

Yah but he's not gonna get a car from the other company if they're disputing what happened. That would leave him having to pay for his own car hire and trying to claim it back from them etc. Very messy, but up to him.

Who knows, might all be very straight forward .. but needs to report to everyone as soon as possible to get things rolling .. especially given it's coming up to Xmas and garages will probably close etc !

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think you're probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Lads, thanks for the responses, I'll talk to the insurance companies in the morning, fingers crossed.
    I don't have COMP so I don't think I'll get a car from my own insurance company.
    The whole thing is more annoying than anything else.
    I'll post back here with the result.
    Thanks again

Good luck anyway, hope it works out.

Without COMP a lot of what I said doesn't really apply. You have even more reason to get onto the other insurance company ASAP to get this reported. Also see if you can get into a garage over the weekend for an estimate for the damages. The more info you can give them (estimates, photos, etc) the quicker things will move forward.

Advertisement