Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy Where Do I stand?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if in the wrong section, please feel free to move if so. thanks

On The 18th Dec 08 I was handed my P45 and told there was no work, so was not given any notice, finished up on that day. My Employer had not given me any redundancy and I am just wondering where I stand?

I have worked for 8 years with this employer.
    I have had one break of service in april 01 due to lay-off and that was for 1week.
    I am male.
    Employer made a comment that there is a possibility that there may be work in January and I might be re-employeed. If this happends do I loose all my service of 8years and if again I am let go that I am then not entitled to any redundancy.

So if anyone has any advice on where I should go from here I would very much appriciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

You would want to contact citizens information and get some advice.
    If you were given a p45 then it would be redundancy and not a temporary layoff unless you have a letter from your employer stating this.

Q?If you have worked there for 8years did it not cross your mind to ask about your redundancy payment?

After 8years service should you be made redundant you should have been give 4weeks notice of termination of employment of paid for these 4 weeks on top of your redundancy entitlements (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

If I'm correct on the maths you should be entitled to 2weeks pay per year (max 600euro per week) plus the 4 weeks notice pay you should have received. You should be entitled to 20weeks pay!

You need to get some advice soon because if your employer calls you for work in January you might be starting under a different job title therefore could have to begin service for the company at day1 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

OP, your obviously entitled to redundancy but your employer either doesn't have the capital to pay it to you or else has the funds but doesn't want to pay you redundancy.

If your employer has run out of cash and can't pay you statutory redundancy, there is some procedure whereby he/she fills out a form and the state will pay you, in the event that your employer doesn't have the means.

You need to get your employer to make your situation clear to you. Does he/she accept that you are entitled to redundancy is what you need to establish first and if not, then on what basis???

When you get the above question answered, then you need to get him/her to discuss whether or not they are in a position to pay you...

Advertisement