Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Reader?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

After uploading pictures from camera to computer for more than 30 minutes, I have realised that a memory card reader could be a good thing to have.
    Could you recommend me brand/type and where to get it in Tallaght/Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pippatee

I definitely recommend a card reader ... 3 times as fast as direct from the camera ...

Curry's in the square sell them ... theres quite a range ... I got one (cant remember the brand offhand) that takes all of the card types for about €20 ...

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

your pc/laptop has usb 2.0 or firewire?
    As you could get a firewire one which are meant to be very quick
    But no need to upgrade if you have no usb 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Laptop has a FireWare, but it is just a company one. My home PC has definitely USB 2.0.
    So there is no need to go after something special, just to do some windowshopping to save my battery :-)

Thank you all for your information. And moderators, please, feel free to close/delete this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I couldn't believe my luck when I discovered my work laptop has an SD card slot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I use one that came free with my SanDisk SDHC card :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

You've probably already sorted yourself out with a card reader, but I would recommend the cheapest one on the shelf. Quality and transfer speed is not compromised with an el cheapo. Just make sure its got USB 2.0

I am not sorted yet, I'll do some shopping online though. Local shop offered one for €34.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Blatant robbery. You can get one for about €9.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i bought a sd card for about €20 4 gig a while back off ebay . the card itself was rubbish but ive found the free card reader it came with invaluable it came from a irish seller as well and i had it delivered in about 2 days . it was very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

He is looking for a CF card reader though. I got a Sandisk one off MyMemory.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Try Tesco, about €9.99 for a "Technika" 16 in one. Had mine for 5 months no issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I got one of those Tesco one's for €10 & it's good. Even does SDHC. I forgot my USB lead when I went to Waterford & so just got the whole reader.

Good idea, I'll check Tesco before visiting arrrrrgh(os).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

emul wrote: »
    Try Tesco, about €9.99 for a "Technika" 16 in one. Had mine for 5 months no issue
    Thieving bastards in Douglas (Cork) charged me about 15 for mine. Still though, its really handy and for the prices its fantastic buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Firewire is quick but to be quite honest any card reader that is usb 2.0 is fine and will still be noticably quicker than the direct link to the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If you're not in a rush try dealextreme.com, you can probably get what you need for about €1.50

I have got the one in t-sco. I'll test it in the evening, but what could get wrong on something like that? :-)

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

And moderators, please, feel free to close this thread. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement