Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chrome Trim

Options
  • 19-12-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking to buy a specific BMW, 318d ES. None of the ones I have seen have a "chrome trim" around the door windows (I'm not sure if "chrome trim" is the correct terminology - it's what allows you to distinguish, for example, a VW Passat Comfort Line from a Baseline straight away when you look at it from the outside).

Anyway, 2 questions...

(i) Does this model come with the chrome trim?
    (ii) Can a chrome trim be fitted by a body shop type establishment? If so, assuming I get a good guy to do it, will it be as good as if it was there from time of manufacture?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hello,

I am looking to buy a specific BMW, 318d ES. None of the ones I have seen have a "chrome trim" around the door windows (I'm not sure if "chrome trim" is the correct terminology - it's what allows you to distinguish, for example, a VW Passat Comfort Line from a Baseline straight away when you look at it from the outside).

Anyway, 2 questions...

(i) Does this model come with the chrome trim?
    (ii) Can a chrome trim be fitted by a body shop type establishment? If so, assuming I get a good guy to do it, will it be as good as if it was there from time of manufacture?

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

If you're any bit patient you can pick this stuff up on eBay. It would be tricky though and you could end up with the car looking like some skangermobile Passat with bad replica chrome.

A bodyshop should be able to do a pro job quicker, but get recommendations locally before entrusting your car to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Thanks for that ninety9er. What about getting it fitted - any recommendations for somebody to it and do a good job? I see you're in Limerick, so am I :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You could try David Brown in Cratloe to see if he'd do it, but I'm not sure where else you'd get it done.

I've seen some "colour coding" that Slaters in Thomondgate did, and couldn't say I'd be happy with it on my car...so avoid.

There's Joe's Crash Repairs or something like that too. Limerick-man can advise on how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

There's a guy called Declan out in Kilcornan (near enough to where the karting place is). I think he goes under the company name of Dreamworks or Dreamweaver (maybe not Dreamweaver, that's a web page design tool :) ) or something like that - I got him to do some work for me before and it's fine - have you heard anything about him?

super_freddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think chrome is standard on 6 cylinder BMW's unless you go for M-Pac or shadowline option. I am sure BMW will sell the bits, but I believe they can be a bugger to fit and no doubt they will cost an arm and a leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

you can retro fit the chrome at a cost of 900€ from BMW. Parts cost around €500 if you fancy doing it yourself.
    Pricey considering the cost as a option (€200??)

Advertisement