Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRSI Refund?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hey, I've worked for 6 months this year, earning 18137.50. On this I've paid €127.38 PAYE, but €891.33 in PRSI. Is there anyway to claim this back as a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Altheus wrote: »
    Hey, I've worked for 6 months this year, earning 18137.50. On this I've paid €127.38 PAYE, but €891.33 in PRSI. Is there anyway to claim this back as a refund?

You have MASSIVELY underpaid PAYE and it will be noticed by Revenue, especially if you contact them looking for a refund!

Your PRSI sounds right on a salary of around 36k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

The PAYE looks right actually, remember he has a full years tax credits (2009) on that 18k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To make a claim, email, call or write to your office for a P21 balancing statement.

It's common for PAYE, in fact there was a monster thread in work forum on this maybe a year ago.
    I don't know if this applies to PRSI but it's a first step.

But realy, I don't think you'll get much back having looked at your figures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Download SW14 from www.welfare.ie . You can claim back PRSI and if you had Medical Card in 2008 it will increase your refund .
    Below is a sample of what its about :

Where an employees weekly pay fluctuates above and below €500, but the annual pay during 2008 is not more than €26,000, the employee may claim a refund of the 2% Health Contribution deduction, or where an employees weekly pay fluctuates above and below €1,925, but the annual pay during 2008 is not more than €100,100, the employee may claim a refund of the 0.5% Health Contribution deduction from the
    Department of Social & Family Affairs

PRSI Refunds

Oisin House

Pearse St.

Dublin 2.

Telephone (01) 6732586

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rjones

Your PAYE looks correct and you should as far as I know get a full refund of all PRSI contributions because you are a PAYE worker(not self employed)
    and have earned less than €18304(352 per week for PAYE exemption)

see this link
    http://www.accountingnet.ie/channels/taxation/prsi.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Sorry to jump in - are there any downsides to doing this? For example could you lose out on existing dental entitlements etc? How about if you lost your job - would you then not have enough "stamps" for the previous period?

Advertisement