Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New details on the Smoke Monster [** SPOILERS **]

Options
  • 19-12-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

The writers did a video podcast and answered a few questions (see link below) in which they revealed that the smoke monster was on the island before the Dharma Initiative arrived.

I thought that was a big piece of info, because we now know that Dharma did not create the monster. Does anyone have any thoughts/theories about what this could mean? Does that mean the island natives created the monster? Or did the island (or rather, the island's powers) create the monster?

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-sneak-peek-and-message-from-darlton.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The writers did a video podcast and answered a few questions (see link below) in which they revealed that the smoke monster was on the island before the Dharma Initiative arrived.

I thought that was a big piece of info, because we now know that Dharma did not create the monster. Does anyone have any thoughts/theories about what this could mean? Does that mean the island natives created the monster? Or did the island (or rather, the island's powers) create the monster?

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2008/12/new-sneak-peek-and-message-from-darlton.html

You know your thread title is a spoiler in and of itself and I hate you for posting it...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

my eyeeees
    wtf, spoilers....noooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

sorry guys, i didn't even think that would be a spoiler.

i can't change the thread title so will have to wait till a mod is on to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I hate being a mod! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I thought we kinda knew that already? They said before that there were people before Dharma on the Island i.e. people who built the four toed statue. Plus when Ben was controlling the monster, the controller looked ancient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The general theory during season 2 was that Dharma created Smokey. But yeah after we found out about the possibility of an ancient civilisation on the island, everyone started to speculate that Smokey pre-dated Dharma. The writers have been hinting that for ages. And the secret door with hieroglyphics last season is good evidence of it.

But it's still really only speculation. The writers never give hard spoilers — all their podcasts and interviews take the form of "maybe this" and "maybe that" and half the time it's rubbish.

On the subject of the secret door, I don't think Ben was controlling Smokey last season, just merely summoned him. And I suspect at some sacrifice to himself. Maybe turning the wheel and leaving the island was part of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On the subject of the secret door, I don't think Ben was controlling Smokey last season, just merely summoned him. And I suspect at some sacrifice to himself. Maybe turning the wheel and leaving the island was part of the deal.

Pretty sure Ben said that afterward too, that he wasn't in control of it, but could call it. Why would someone create a security system that they couldn't completely control? Gives credence to it not being created by Dharma, or even The Others, but being there from before them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought this was pretty obvious from season too, writing on the blast door dates from the darma time and lots of references to CVs etc suggested that they would like to know a bit more about smokey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

locke created the smoke monster... wen the island shifts time parralls locke learns how to try and ward them off from coming deeper into he island, yet as he is part ot this im sure his daed self will meet his alive self in some island shift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

locke created the smoke monster... wen the island shifts time parralls locke learns how to try and ward them off from coming deeper into he island, yet as he is part ot this im sure his daed self will meet his alive self in some island shift
    :eek:why oh why do i read spoilers :(
    or is that just something you thought of yourself? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

if its a guess, it doesn't really need spoilers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Smokey wasn't created by Dharma or the others. He was created by some punk kids who used to set fire to car tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

sure all spoilers are guesses nobody anywehre knows whats going on

Advertisement