Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA... 80% of roadside breakdowns fixed on the spot...

Options
  • 19-12-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm not bashing the AA like I was on another thread on the forum recently, but I personally find this claim a little unbelievable....

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/why-join.asp

How can 80% of breakdowns be resolved on the spot???

There must be a lot of people out there running out of fuel and calling the AA out to change a flat tyre... I don't believe this claim to be honest...

On their TV ad, they show a guy with a diagnostic computer hooked up to the engine. All this does is let you see a fault or real time sensor signal data, it doesn't allow a car that is broken down, move on its own steam again???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My guess is that flat batteries, keys in car, no petrol, and punctures probably make up the vast bulk of call-outs. I'd agree that not many actual breakdowns are going to be solved on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Anan1 wrote: »
    My guess is that flat batteries, keys in car, no petrol, and punctures probably make up the vast bulk of call-outs. I'd agree that not many actual breakdowns are going to be solved on the spot.

I would guess as anan1 says above... it might be more accurate to say that they get 80% of cars going on the spot...

They will not fix long term thing, like why the battery went dead in the first place, but will jump start the car....

They do have some clever tricks, i heard of car running out of petrol, being left with the emergency flashers on... then when the driver returned with petrol the battery was dead and central locking would not open the car. The AA guy came out, jacked up the front of the car saw where the alternator was. Then got a spare battery from his van, connected the - terminal to the vehicle and the + terminal onto a metal bar which he touched of the + terminal on the alternator. As soon as he made the circuit, got the driver to hit open on the remote.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

They do have some clever tricks, i heard of car running out of petrol, being left with the emergency flashers on... then when the driver returned with petrol the battery was dead and central locking would not open the car. The AA guy came out, jacked up the front of the car saw where the alternator was. Then got a spare battery from his van, connected the - terminal to the vehicle and the + terminal onto a metal bar which he touched of the + terminal on the alternator. As soon as he made the circuit, got the driver to hit open on the remote.

That is clever, but really simple aswell. Going to remember that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

For the two cars that broke down outside my place this year they had diagnostics to determine coil problems and crankshaft sensor problems. One was a Micra K12 the other was Renault Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

it might be more accurate to say that they get 80% of cars going on the spot...

That's really all they are claiming:
    AA Website wrote:
    our patrols repair 80% of faults on the spot, getting our members on the move again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

My '76 Alfa broke down in the UK with a coolant leak and the guy had replacement hose and jubilee clips/checked for airlocks and got me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Find this very hard to believe. I would say that the percentage is from the uk as well.
    Most off the aa in Ireland cant fix a blown light bulb never mind a diagnostic repair.
    They might be able to get the car going but not fixed long term

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

dmca77 wrote: »
    They might be able to get the car going but not fixed long term
    Surely that's all they're supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm not bashing the AA like I was on another thread on the forum recently, but I personally find this claim a little unbelievable....

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/why-join.asp

How can 80% of breakdowns be resolved on the spot???

There must be a lot of people out there running out of fuel and calling the AA out to change a flat tyre... I don't believe this claim to be honest...

On their TV ad, they show a guy with a diagnostic computer hooked up to the engine. All this does is let you see a fault or real time sensor signal data, it doesn't allow a car that is broken down, move on its own steam again???

They don't say on the ad that plugging in a diagnosic tool fixes cars. It is just part of the ad.

A lot of the common AA call outs are just flat batteries etc. Easy to say that they and other simple call outs amount to 80% of their well done, work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

M.T wrote: »
    They don't say on the ad that plugging in a diagnosic tool fixes cars. It is just part of the ad.

A lot of the common AA call outs are just flat batteries etc. Easy to say that they and other simple call outs amount to 80% of their well done, work.

Yeah but it's implied, you see your man with the diag comp at the car with the bonnet open and then waving yer wan off with a big happy smile!

I think it is subtly and cleverly capitalising on the incorrect notion now in many peoples heads that a diagnostic computer can solve any problem with a car now, the kind of thinking that has many people convinced that only a main dealer now can deal with a car breakdown because after all, "sure don't they have the computer that you need now..."...???

I suppose in my own head, as a mechanic, I don't consider a car that is out of petrol or the keys are locked inside or a flat tyre or battery, an actual breakdown.

In my mind, if you try to start the car, the engine is turning over and not starting, then that's a breakdown.

• Advertisement

I think it is subtly and cleverly capitalising on the incorrect notion now in many peoples heads that a diagnostic computer can solve any problem with a car now, the kind of thinking that has many people convinced that only a main dealer now can deal with a car breakdown because after all, "sure don't they have the computer that you need now..."...???

Fair play. You got it.

Yeah but it's implied, you see your man with the diag comp at the car with the bonnet open and then waving yer wan off with a big happy smile!

I suppose in my own head, as a mechanic, I don't consider a car that is out of petrol or the keys are locked inside or a flat tyre or battery, an actual breakdown.

In my mind, if you try to start the car, the engine is turning over and not starting, then that's a breakdown.

Word on the street, Darragh29 "think it is subtly and cleverly capitalising on the incorrect notion now in many peoples heads that a diagnostic computer can solve any problem"

Welcome to 2010.

Advertisement