Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat urinating in her water

Options
  • 19-12-2008 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Everyday I come down to fine our new kitten has urinated in her drinking water! Which the dog shares and hence wont drink until I replace it! It seems to decide on the spot wheter to go in the litter box or the bowl!

I've tried to show it the cat litter and teach it not to go in the bowl but it still does. Is there some kind of spray or anything I can buy to stop it urinating in the water?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Conor108 wrote: »
    Everyday I come down to fine our new kitten has urinated in her drinking water! Which the dog shares and hence wont drink until I replace it! It seems to decide on the spot wheter to go in the litter box or the bowl!

I've tried to show it the cat litter and teach it not to go in the bowl but it still does. Is there some kind of spray or anything I can buy to stop it urinating in the water?

How about removing the water for a while after renewing or freshening the litter.Most cats that I have seen like it when the litter is new so the removal of the drinking water at this stage may encourage the use of the litter tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

How old is the kitten? Have u other cats in the house or hanging around? It sounds like a behaviour or dominance issue? Have u spoken to the vet to rule out health probs? We had one foster kitten that liked to wee in the food bowl that our alpha cat mainly ate from. It was purely a dominance issue with him. Is your tap water good or does is smell? Maybe try a fountain that filters the water. Something like a drink well? It could well be there's a smell from the water that she doesn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah I've tried pouring the water out of a Brita filter even! The kittens about 3-4 months old and theres only a small dog (King Charles Spaniel) with her. Will try those suggestions thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Do you have a crate for your dog? If so you could attach a large rabbit water bottle to it. Just call your pets over when it's set up and filled, give it a squeez, and they should hopefully start to drink from it. Then you could remove the water bowls from the ground as you could be sure they'd still have a source of drinking water.

Advertisement