Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pcie Mini vs large !

Options
  • 19-12-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought myself a new system and put it all together last night but i noticed the sound card which connects to the smallest PCIe connection (The one parellel in the photo to the battery) is being blocked by the chipset...

My question is can i use the next pcie size up?

Many thanks in advance!

pcie.jpg

http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/guide/pcie.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jetski wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought myself a new system and put it all together last night but i noticed the sound card which connects to the smallest PCIe connection (The one parellel in the photo to the battery) is being blocked by the chipset...

My question is can i use the next pcie size up?

Many thanks in advance!

pcie.jpg

http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/guide/pcie.jpg

We've no permission to view that image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can't see your pic but i presume what yor referring to is pci, next size up is pci-e (which your graphics card slots in2).........well then no you can't as its not compatible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd imagine what he means is that the PCI-E 1x lane is blocked, and that he's wondering if he can use one of the full length lanes? In which case, yes it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Hi Yes 1x is blocked so can i use 4x ?
    pcie_connector.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Thanks for the replys lads....

Just to confirm the 1x worked in the 4x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well sure, you see how its broken down like

The first small section i think is the power bus. the rest is data. so it would be pretty backward compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

you realise theres no harm in trying without asking.

if it fits; great. turn it on and see if it works. if it works; perfect.
    if it doesn't work, it doesnt mean that your PC is going to explode. it wont do any damage..... (assuming it fits properly and you dont use a sledge hammer to force fit it)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ohhhh it can hurt. we had no less than 15 different AC adapters that would fit into a linksys router. The wrong one that was just half an Amp over spec was all it took to blow it.

But Aye, in this case all PCIe devices seem to use the exact same power interface, so theres no harm in it. Not sure about the graphics Only slot though. That might have more juice.

Advertisement