Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt Hyundai Sonata €??

Options
  • 19-12-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering how much it would cost to get this done on a 01 Petrol Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Auto. Two people, one a diy mechanic(isnt actually a qualified mechanic just nifty with the motors) tells me that its an one or so job with the belt itself costing only 15-30 yo yo's. They both said i should be able to get it done for 100-150.

Hence my jaw dropping amasement when I get a quote from Hyundai garage on south side for 500 bills!

What should i be expecting to pay, and can anyone reccommend a cheap reliable mechanic! Please!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

your local mechanic should be able to do it for 150 or there abouts,

Main dealers charge savage hourly labour rates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    I was just wondering how much it would cost to get this done on a 01 Petrol Hyundai Sonata 2.0 Auto. Two people, one a diy mechanic(isnt actually a qualified mechanic just nifty with the motors) tells me that its an one or so job with the belt itself costing only 15-30 yo yo's. They both said i should be able to get it done for 100-150.

Hence my jaw dropping amasement when I get a quote from Hyundai garage on south side for 500 bills!

What should i be expecting to pay, and can anyone reccommend a cheap reliable mechanic! Please!;)

Somewhere between 300 and 400 Euro is the right price for this. It is not just the belt that needs to be changed but the belt tensioner bearing and also the water pump and possibly an alternator pulley belt as well. If someone is doing it for 100-150 Euro, they are not changing all the parts that need to be changed.

Also, when it comes to a timing belt, don't let someone who isn't qualified or isn't doing timing belts on a regular basis near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You pay for peanuts, you're gonna get monkeys. Don't get handy andy to do one of the most crucial jobs on your engine because if something goes wrong, you'll have little or no comeback.

It's about a 4 hour job, maybe less - you need the timing belt and counter-balance belt along with a pulley kit. Try getting a quote off a main Hyundai dealer, it mightn't be as bad as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

You pay for peanuts, you're gonna get monkeys. Don't get handy andy to do one of the most crucial jobs on your engine because if something goes wrong, you'll have little or no comeback.

It's about a 4 hour job, maybe less - you need the timing belt and counter-balance belt along with a pulley kit. Try getting a quote off a main Hyundai dealer, it mightn't be as bad as you think.

The quote i got was off a main Hyundai dealer! For just over €500!! I nearly dropped the phone, even at a four hour job that price just seems way too high to me, which is why im hoping somebody can suggest a mechanic who's reliable and a bit cheaper than that!

Anyone know one?! Student and have the balance the books and garage price is just way too much for me, i know it's crucial so thats why i havent dived straight in with friend of a friend job.Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The quote i got was off a main Hyundai dealer! For just over €500!! I nearly dropped the phone, even at a four hour job that price just seems way too high to me, which is why im hoping somebody can suggest a mechanic who's reliable and a bit cheaper than that!

Anyone know one?! Student and have the balance the books and garage price is just way too much for me, i know it's crucial so thats why i havent dived straight in with friend of a friend job.Thanks!

Should try a Renault garage, try 900 ;)

• Advertisement

As main dealer prices go, that isn't the worst. You'll get it done for 300-400 Euro through a good indy garage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Darragh29 wrote: »
    As main dealer prices go, that isn't the worst. You'll get it done for 300-400 Euro through a good indy garage...

+1

100 euro extra (or thereabouts) gets you genuine parts with people best suited for the job.

+1

100 euro extra (or thereabouts) gets you genuine parts with people best suited for the job.

:mad::mad::mad:

Genuine parts, don't be windin me up so close to Christmas! :D:D:D

Advertisement