Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are scrapyards going to get busier now?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Garages are closing down.

People are losing their jobs.

Most of us are on a tight budget.

Cars will still breakdown, parts will be needed for repairs.

I think alot more people will be attempting to repair their car themselves,

Will people choose to buy secondhand parts instead of new?

What will you do if your car breaksdown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

JackFrosty wrote: »

What will you do if your car breaksdown?

Call the AA :p

I think a lot of people are overwhelmed when it comes to tinkering on cars ....

especially with newer cars and the need for diagnostic equipment for certain issues, this might rule out a lot of people getting their hands dirty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

People's mechanical abilities don't automatically improve just because our economy is heading down the toilet...

What will happen is that people will start relying more on nixers and will put off scheduled work like timing belts, etc done and will haggle non stop when they do have to get reactive work done...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Don't know about Breakers, but the aftermarket parts section has not suffered as much as main dealers or the second hand sales. I would say people are still getting cars serviced but are going top cheaper indepenants rather than pay main dealers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

homer90 wrote: »
    Call the AA :p

+1, I don't have 4 years paid up-front (by the manufacturer) not to use it if I need to ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Calling the AA might not sort the problem, it may just highlight what it is!

• Advertisement
Advertisement