Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good scanner

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi anyone recommend a good scanner for scanning photos ??

--not negatives ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

jackdaw wrote: »
    Hi anyone recommend a good scanner for scanning photos ??

--not negatives ..

I'd say if you're scanning photographs that practically any low end scanner will probably do the job. Just get one from epson or canon and you'll probably be OK. You're rarely going to want to scan at more than 300 or 600 DPI and any scanner will very probably handle the range of tones in photographs without too much difficulty. If you're getting one though you might want to consider getting one with a transparency adapter (canon 8600 for example), it might tempt you to the dark side ... of film ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I have an old AGFA. It's excellent.

Also I came across a site describing how you can use a regular scanner to scan negatives. A sheet of white paper has to be used.

Any links would be useful, as I'm not planning on getting a negative scanner yet. There are mixed reviews about the domestic scale ones, some good, some bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Anouilh wrote: »
    I have an old AGFA. It's excellent.

Also I came across a site describing how you can use a regular scanner to scan negatives. A sheet of white paper has to be used.

Any links would be useful, as I'm not planning on getting a negative scanner yet. There are mixed reviews about the domestic scale ones, some good, some bad.

I wouldn't say that would result in a particularly good (negative) scan. As regards negative scanners though, its basically that standard tradeoff between cash and quality :-) The best consumer level scanner would probably be the coolscan V, a dedicated 35mm only nikon job. Best of the flatbeds is probably the epson 750 or 700, after that there are a bunch of others on a sliding scale in terms of quality versus price. For example, i have a canon 8600 for scanning medium format stuff. Nowhere near the quality of my coolscan, but for medium format its an acceptable tradeoff (and the cheapest nikon scanner for 120 is thousands of punts ). There are several other threads here if you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thread reminds me to buy new film scanner in the new year.

Balls.

Thanks Daire :pac:

Advertisement