Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bold Hamster!

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hi, recently i have found my hamster seems to be aggresive whenever I go to move her. I have read that you need to go slow when handling them which i do but it still bites. she's around 3 months old now.

Any tips on how to calm her down?

thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

How often do you handle her? They can go a little bit stir-crazy and bitey if left alone in their cage for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Often enough, wouldnt handle her everyday being busy with college. i know i should everyday obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It only takes 5 to 10 mins to handle you hamster I'm sure you can spare that per day no problem.
    Patience and gentle handling let the hamster come to you, remember they are small delicate creatures and she's just scared so put some food out in you hand, lay you hand flat and every day let her eat a piece of apple or seeds etc from your hand let her come to you and then eventually use a toothbrush as a brush to start gentle brushing her fur and get her used to that.

Some hamsters are very nippy but give it some time and she should be ok or at the very least sit in your hand even if you can't pick her up.
    Getting her used to being handled is important if she ever needs the vet, makes it easier to examine and treat her if she becomes ill.
    Mind you I had a nippy hamster so they can be a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

My hamster is nearly 3 years old, and still bites if you don't handle him on his terms! :D

Just a few tips:
    1) ALWAYS wash your hands before you handle her. Hammies don't have the best sight, so they go by smell, and if you smell like food they will try to take a bite.
    2) If she is a relatively new hamster, she might not be used to your smell yet.
    A good way to solve this, is to rub the toilet paper you use for her bedding between your hands a bit before putting it into her cage.
    3) I know my hamster doesn't like anyone putting their hands into his cage.
    When you want to take her out, open her door and let her come to you. If she's not happy doing this, put her ball up to the door and let her walk into that, then from there let her crawl onto your hand or lap.
    4) Talk to her lot. She needs to feel comfortable that you're not going to hurt her.
    5) If she is not usually like this, and this is just a sudden change in behavior, she might just be in heat. If she smells a little off at the mo, that could be it. If this is the case, just leave her be. Instead of handling her, just sit by her cage and talk to her and try again in a few days, taking it slowly.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Fiii wrote: »
    1) ALWAYS wash your hands before you handle her. Hammies don't have the best sight, so they go by smell, and if you smell like food they will try to take a bite.

This was the point I was going to make. Does your hamster bite you hard and aggressively or does he sniff you lots before he bites? I've had my hamster since the summer and she's annoyingly tame. I had her out two minutes ago and she 'bit' my shoes, my ankle, my knee, my nails, my arm, my watch, my cardigan and my hair. She never bites me hard, she just opens her mouth slowly and if she's near skin I move away and she thinks 'oh, so that wasn't food' and if I don't move she'll start trying to nibble. In other words, all the different textures smell and feel different so to her they might be different kinds of food! She's learned now that if she tries to eat it and it moves then it's not food after all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

my hamster does the whole sniffing jumpers then biting thing, but it has broken skin on couple of occasions on myself and my boyfriend, who handles her just as much as i do.
    But i shall take your advice next time! thankies! :D

Advertisement