Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup survives in car by licking condensation off windows

Options
  • 19-12-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/plucky-pup-survives-five-days-by-licking-windows-1580518.html

A PUPPY that survived for five days in a locked car in Dublin by licking condensation on a window is still waiting to be reunited with its owner.

The resilient puppy was stranded when his owner forgot where he had parked his car during a shopping trip to Dublin last Friday.

A passer-by spotted the pup after an appeal was launched by the Dublin Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (DSPCA) and he was liberated from the car, parked on the quays, shortly afterwards.

However, according to the DSPCA, the owner, who is from Monaghan, lost his bearings once again on his way to the animal shelter on Wednesday night and had to return to his home in Monaghan instead.

DSPCA education officer Gillian Bird said that the man was obviously not familiar with Dublin and that he would be returning at the earliest opportunity to claim his pet.

"He said he'd gotten lost on his way to pick the little dog up but that he'd be back to get him as soon as he could.

"We didn't get the chance to ask what the puppy's name was, so we still don't know what he's called."

Rescuers said he was hungry, thirsty and cold when they broke the window to free him.

"The puppy is doing fine now -- he survived by licking the condensation on the windows.

"He's lost a good bit of weight but he was already quite a solid dog so he'll be ok," said Ms Bird.

His owner contacted Dublin gardai and the DSPCA when he failed to locate his car and a city-wide campaign was instigated to find the lost puppy.

Daniel Duggin, from Balbriggan, north Co Dublin, was on his way home from work in Glasnevin when he pulled up beside a car matching the description released on the radio.

"I got out of my car and I was looking at the puppy jumping around in the car thinking, 'ah, what a cute puppy'.

"Then the penny dropped," he said.

Ms Bird says that it was an extraordinary incident that helps to highlight the crucial role that the public can play in the work of the DSPCA.

"It's all about noticing things and having the guts to report them," she added.

- Caitrina Cody

What was the owner doing driving to Dublin for Christmas shopping with his dog? Knowing he would have to leave it in his car for hours on end. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Something smells about this. €10 he'll end up surrendering the puppy or am I just too cynical this time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

He lost his car - and his dog - for *five days*, and then lost his way when he went to claim it, and went home to Monaghan? Someone give this man a TomTom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

What a strange, flakey person :/ How do you forget about your car AND your puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Um, from what I can tell, did the owner of the car ask for assistance locating it because the dog was in it, hence the DSPCA launched an appeal?

If he didn't give a toss about the dog, he would have just asked the Gardai for help...

So the upshot is that he mightn't be the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, but at least he tried something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Well at least the puppy's fine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

So the upshot is that he mightn't be the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, but at least he tried something...

He does sound a bit "special" but at least he did what he could to get people to help look for his dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I went tio dublin a few years ago and we parked in a car park it took us four hours to find vehicle never again will i go to Dublin.But there is something not right about this he could have rang for directions bet he doesnt come back for pup

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am quite curious about the age and condition of that car.
    Cant get rid of the idea that the owner wanted to get rid of car and dog.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

inforfun wrote: »
    I am quite curious about the age and condition of that car.
    Cant get rid of the idea that the owner wanted to get rid of car and dog.

Then why would he contact the DSPCA and have them launch a radio appeal to help find the pup? He would just have reported the car as stolen to the gardai and gotten them to stamp his insurance claim without mentioning the dog. He just sounds like a bit of a Forrest Gump type to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Beleave it or not this really does happen.

My bro-in-law reported his car stolen a few years ago, put his insurance claim through, had a replacement car etc.

Then driving into town one night I seen a car with a ton of parking tickets on it, IT WAS HIS CAR!..

He'd simply forgotten where he'd parked it, thought it was elsewhere and when it wasn't there he reported it stolen.

At least there wasn't a dog in it!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

as me oul granda used to say: "they're not all locked up yet"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I heard this guy on the radio and he seemed completely nonplussed about the whole situation and like a total farmer up in the big schmoke for a day. He just didn't seem to care. He seemed to be a bit of a liability to himself at the same time. He forgot where the car was, couldn't find the pound and apparently when he got the car back he ran out of petrol on his way home so the car was abandoned on the dual carriageway until he got some more petrol for it. He made me very angry listening to him. He can barely look after himself, let alone an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I think it's funny that his car was parked illegally for 5 days and he didn't get a fine or clamped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he wouldnt remember the puppys name anyways what an idiot why didnt he get clamped....

I was gone from my car for 5 minutes once and got a ticket.

no justice in the world at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Morganna wrote: »
    I went tio dublin a few years ago and we parked in a car park it took us four hours to find vehicle never again will i go to Dublin.But there is something not right about this he could have rang for directions bet he doesnt come back for pup

Rather than just never coming to Dublin again because it swallowed up your car, would you not just take note of the location (street or carpark) of the car before you left it?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

he wouldnt remember the puppys name anyways what an idiot why didnt he get clamped
    This is why this story just doesn't add up for me.

The car was parked in George's Quay, a fairly busy part of Dublin (across the Liffey from the Custom's House).

It would have been clamped fairly pronto without a ticket or with an expired ticket.

When the clampers clamp a vehicle, they radio the details of it back to base. Rather than launch a radio appeal, why didn't they just contact the clampers and ask them. Even if the owner didn't know the reg of his vehicle, surely he would have an idea of the make/model.

And, in saying all that, wouldn't the clamper would have noticed the pup?

And even if the car was clamped and not 'reclaimed', it would have been removed to the pound after a day or two?

The story has a nice "feel good" ending but it just doesn't add up.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

This is why this story just doesn't add up for me.

The car was parked in George's Quay, a fairly busy part of Dublin (across the Liffey from the Custom's House).

It would have been clamped fairly pronto without a ticket or with an expired ticket.

When the clampers clamp a vehicle, they radio the details of it back to base. Rather than launch a radio appeal, why didn't they just contact the clampers and ask them. Even if the owner didn't know the reg of his vehicle, surely he would have an idea of the make/model.

And, in saying all that, wouldn't the clamper would have noticed the pup?

And even if the car was clamped and not 'reclaimed', it would have been removed to the pound after a day or two?

The story has a nice "feel good" ending but it just doesn't add up.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hmmm, well I heard it on Gerry Ryan. Maybe Gerry made it up for some festive feel-goodness?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

This is why this story just doesn't add up for me

Too right. Like honestly, what sort of a half-baked bumpkin is he at all? Its not as if the car was down some obscure back street. It was ON THE FOCKING RIVER!! near the tallest building in dublin.....near the only train bridge on the liffey....quite near o connell street....etc.

Any mention of how he actually got back to monaghan that day, or did he stay in dublin or what?

the mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

coyle wrote: »
    Any mention of how he actually got back to monaghan that day, or did he stay in dublin or what?

I bet he stayed in The Mespil!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hmmm, well I heard it on Gerry Ryan. Maybe Gerry made it up for some festive feel-goodness?
    well it doesn't make me feel good - some irresponsible twat took his dog on a several hour car journey to Dublin when he knew he would be leaving the dog in the car for hours. He left the dog there with no food or water. He then lost the bloody car, lost his way to the pound and didn't bother to come back for the dog for 5 DAYS?????

I'm sorry but that makes me so MAD :mad: This man doesn't deserve to own an animal, he is irresponsible in addition to being thick.

I am also very cynical about the whole situation - I would wonder did he ring the Gardai to say 'hey, sorry for being a thick, but I can't remember where I parked my car. Can you please use tax payers money to help me find it?' most probably the Guards weren't too impressed with the stupid fooker. Then maybe he realised if he mentioned the dog in the car that they may take more notice - and perhaps it was the Guards who suggested contacting the DSPCA? I dunno, maybe I'm too cynical but a person who abandons their dog for hours in a car, doesn't sound to me like someone who cares a lot about the animals welfare, so i find it hard to believe it was him who initiated the DSPCA appeal.

And maybe he has no car alarm, and afraid that the car would be stolen in the big schmoke thought the dog may act as a theft deterrent?

Personally I think the DSPCA should take the dog away from him and I would even go so far as to say he should be prosecuted for neglect for leaving the dog in the car for hours while he WENT SHOPPING!!!!!!! Not while he was attending to a family emergency, but WENT SHOPING!!

OK, rant over, but still mad :mad: what a idiotic selfish twat

• Advertisement
Advertisement