Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Electronics bits

Options
  • 19-12-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I suck at DIY/Electronics, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Would anyone know where one could buy such things as a soldering iron, capacitors, etc?

Everywhere I read about beginners electronics, "Radio Shack" is suggested. Do we have an Irish version of Radio Shack?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

maplin on jervis street or peats on parnell street

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

As Adam said both those stores would be a great starting point for you and Peats definitely have some good books for beginners in electronics and some starter kits that allow you to put your new skills to the test buy building small pcb based projects and working your way up to bigger projects.

Cheers

Homer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Next level up would be Radionics in Rialto. You could drop in and pick up a free CD catalogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you suck at DIY and or electronics then what you gonna do with a soldering iron and capacitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks lads.
    If you suck at DIY and or electronics then what you gonna do with a soldering iron and capacitors?
    Circuit bending some kids toys.

• Advertisement

as in aphex twin style circuit bending?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yes. Except he's a genius and I'm an unemployed geek who lives with his mum. :D

It's mostly just for fun. I've already bastardized a kiddy piano thing. Getting some crazy sounds by crosswiring various parts of the circuit board, and I fitted a mini jack output which I can route straight into my soundcard, but I would like to get some switches and potentiometers going some time.

best of luck with it

Advertisement