Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPDIF Coax Cable

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've bought a Sony DZ260 DVD 5.1 system, which has both optical in and coax in for digital audio. I'm sure it's a muck system, but it'll do.

I have a Popcorn Hour A100 media streamer, which has Coax out.
    What cable exactly do I need for this? Is it a standard RCA cable (for video), or any RCA cable at all, or do they just share a connector?

Finally, if I wanted to connect 2 such devices into the 5.1 box, is there a splitter that would work for this?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You can use any RCA cable, it will do the job. If you want to connect two devices then connect one with an RCA cable, use optical for the other. I suppose you could use a two RCA-into-one adaptor to connect two devices to the coax in, but you'd have to make sure that only one device was turned on at a time to avoid having two signals hitting your coax input Sony at the same time - I really wouldn't go down this route.

Ritz

• Registered Users Posts: 30 BernardMc

I recently bought the DZ-260 system too to use with my Popcorn Hour A-110.

At the moment, I have the PCH A-110 connected via HDMI to the TV.

The TV is connected via HDMI to the 'HDMI Out' slot on DZ260 sound system. As it stands, the PCH is playing audio through the TV speakers only.

How do I connect the Popcorn Hour to the sound system so I can fully enjoy 5.1 audio from my media files? Do I connect the PCH to the TV or to the sound system?

What setting do I have the DZ-260 on when I want to watch videos on the PCH? TV, or Audio?

Sorry for all the technical mumbojumbo, hope someone can help me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

BernardMc wrote: »
    I recently bought the DZ-260 system too to use with my Popcorn Hour A-110.

At the moment, I have the PCH A-110 connected via HDMI to the TV.

The TV is connected via HDMI to the 'HDMI Out' slot on DZ260 sound system. As it stands, the PCH is playing audio through the TV speakers only.

How do I connect the Popcorn Hour to the sound system so I can fully enjoy 5.1 audio from my media files? Do I connect the PCH to the TV or to the sound system?

What setting do I have the DZ-260 on when I want to watch videos on the PCH? TV, or Audio?

Sorry for all the technical mumbojumbo, hope someone can help me! :)
    Should really start a new thread, but you need HDMI to go from your Popcorn Hour to your TV to carry video, then run an optical lead from your popcorn hour to the reciever.
    Go into Audio/Video options on the Popcorn Hour, and make sure that DTS and AC3 are set to RAW, which will passthrough such signals to the reciever.

Thanks for that, as I thought. Will get myself an optical cable asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Or better again, HDMI from the PCH to the reciever and HDMI from it to the TV.

• Advertisement

Alas my receiver doesn't have a HDMI-in slot :-(
    The optical will have to do until my next upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have this same system. Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything but best to keep Q's on the same system on the same thread IMO.

I have it hooked up to my PS3 and 360 no bother.

However my laptop also has an optical out on it. I want to hook it up to this but it is a different size to the regular spdif cable that is used on the 360/PS3. Is their a mini version of this cable?

Also if I am going to use it, I'll need a regular->mini so that it can connect from the Sony unit to the laptop.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also an recommendations on a decent splitter so I can have both 360 and PS3 hooked up without having to switch cables depending on which one I want to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

you can get an adapter for the optical (spdif) cable to make it into the correct size for the laptop if you already have an optical cable. or you can buy a cable with the regular connector on one end and the mini one on the other end.

maplins do a decent 3in-1out optical switch for about €25

adam

Advertisement