Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat toilet problem?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Female cat, a year old... Normally placid and quiet, curled up in a warm chair, but this evening, mooching round the room, meowing at me repeatedly. Went over to the litter tray repeatedly, scratched and scratched, then squatted, but left nothing behind. Kept returning and returning to it, scratching and squatting, in between mooching round the room meowing restlessly. I noticed the cat squatting earlier today and leaving nothing, too.

So I decided to let the cat out. She went to her little outside hole in the ground, scratched and squatted there too, but nothing. She did that three times, then ran off, which is very unusual for her on a freezing cold night! She keeps returning to the door, but won't come in.

Is she constipated, or is it normal? Or is she spooked? Anything I might do or give her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She could be constipated, or she could have cystitis.

If it's constipation then you can give her a small amount of liquid paraffin in her food (say, about 5mls). You can get it in the chemist. Or you could give her some sardines in sunflower oil. But I would be probably still be taking her to the vets to rule out a urinary tract infection as it's a common problem in cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Is she passing anything when she's in the tray? Even just a drop of urine? It sounds like a uti, a urinary tract infection. She should be brought to the vet to be checked. Also there is some hills food for urinary probs that i find help clear the system., hills id i think it's called. One of ours gets uti's often, especially when she's stressed and the food does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It sounds very like cystitis or some urinary tract infection or worse... blockage.
    Don't waste any more time, take her to the vet immediately.

The squatting, passing nothing and RUNNING AWAY indicate pain. They run from the place that they feel pain in.
    That, most likely is why she wanted to "go" outside as she already associated her litter box with pain.
    Have you since noticed her trying to go in other places? Sometimes they like cold surfaces, floor tiles, or counter tops, etc.

Get her to a vet today, that's my best advice.

Advertisement