Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

South Kilkenny to Newcastlewest Best Route

Options
  • 19-12-2008 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Folks was just wondering if anyone knows of a good route of going from south kilkenny to newcastlewest in Co. Limerick. I know which ever way I will probably have to drive to clonmel and on to tipperary town, but can i go across from tipp town to newcastlewest? instead of going up to limerick and then driving from limerick down to newcastlewest. or is there another way instead of going into clonmel can i just cut across country from kilkenny to newcastlewest, will consider any route dont mind driving the back roads.

Thanks in Advance

Spartan 33

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Hey. Where in South KK are going from? I drive to Limerick twice a week. The Clonmel to Tipp road is nice enough, but from there on I'd say your best route is to stay on the road to Limerick and then take the bypass on the outskirts. You won't need to go into Limerick at all and will be on dual carriageway for most of the route. That's off the top of my head, my geography could be all over the place, but I'm assuming you go through Adare to get to Newcastlewest and if so then the bypass is the nicest road with the best overtaking opportunities.

This is the route that google maps gives and it doesn't bring you near Limerick at all: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=Kilkenny,+Co.+Kilkenny,+Ireland&daddr=Tipperary,+Co.+Tipperary,+Ireland+to:Newcastlewest+Limerick&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=52.698234,-8.036842&sspn=0.09966,0.30899&ie=UTF8&z=9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

You can go straight to kilmallock from tipp town, and on to newcastlewest from there, i always find that quicker, dont really think you can avoid clonmel,
    where exactly are you coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies, jack frosty i will be coming the dunammagan way, so i can go from tipp town to kilmallock then? or would i go tipp town on to hospital etc?

drive up main street in tipp town, straight at lights, then when main street veers,sharp right, you stay going straight on,

your route is
    Emily-knocklong-killmalock-bruree-newcastlewest
    I left out a few small villages but they are the main ones

No advanatage by going through hospital

Good man Jack Frosty your a star,

I knew it was better to go another way rather than driving up to limerick then getting on the bypass to drive down to newcastlewest, at least this way i can cut straight across by going to tipp town and branching across from there

Thanks again good on you for that

• Advertisement

watch out for a speed trap between bruree and new castle on one of the straights,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Im not trying to be smart, but would you not look at a map and figure it out yourself ?

Yes I have looked at the map and there are a few routes, I was wondering which is the best route as I jusy wanted people's opinions as what the roads are like etc, beacuse I didnt fancy driving up as far as the limerick bypass and then driving from their back down to Newcastlewest,

Jack Frosty are there more potential hazards on that route you told me about like roads etc?, thanks for giving me all the other advice ;)

There are a few bad bends here and there, nothing major, when you come to killmalock turn right onto main street and left at end of town by petrol station,
    been a while since i drove that route, let me know what you think of it

Good Man Jack Frosty

I will let you know what hte route is like, myself and the wife will be heading off on tuesday for the christmas down to visit some family, once again thanks for all the advice, it always helps when you get some tips of sometime who has driven a route before. I know the other route quite well from Limerick bypass - adare - Ncw, but I didnt fancy driving up there to drive down again to get to Ncw, prefer to go cross country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement