Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's you best or worst holiday location?

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

what is the best or worst holiday you've ever been on and where was it. try and explain the loc in detail plz

i was in gran canaria this yr. was a class time cos the irish centre is amazin at night and there's a ton of things to do during the day (booze cruise, jet ski, sky diving, scuba diving, go karts, water park etc)

if anyone is thinking of going make sure u stay at the green fields hotel. it's directly across from the irish centre, it has the best pool by miles, and it generally makes the other hotels look ****e, so don't stay somewhere else and b disappointed.

the only downside (to Playa De Ingles, Gran Canaria) is that the crowd that go are generally quite young (17 to 19) so if you're in you're mid twenties like myself, there may be better spots to go to, and also, there isn't much of a choice for nights out, so you'll most likey be in the irish centre for all 7 or 14 nights.

that being said it was still an amazing holiday and i would recommend it. 7/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hmmm how ironic...

Worst - my one and only trip to Playa del Finglas / Gran Canaria ... just not my scene.

Best - I think I had the happiest/most relaxed/most fun in Fiji. Great diving, great beer, relaxation, reading, mud-flat golf, fiji-time.

We stayed in a simple dorm, dived in the morning with a break for the blackest of black coffee and the sweetest of fresh pineapple. Afternoon poolside with a beer and a book. Evenings simple food against an amazing sunset ... just total relaxation. Fun was also to be had - trying the local Kava ('orrible stuff), dancing like an idiot to bongo drums, etc... etc.

For pure entertainment Tokyo is hard to beat ... both during the day and at night ... Harajuku with the cosplay and crazy elvis dancers coupled with excellent nightlife in Shinjuku and Roppongi.

On the home front I also love exploring the west coast of Ireland on a good day, from West Cork to north Donegal its hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I love GC. Not Playe del Ingles though. There's so much more to the island than that dump.

I guess when you're young it caters to your needs perfectly, but what the OP described would be my nightmare holiday! My impression of the "Irish Center" is that it's just a toilet where you get beer. The place stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Play del ingles- worst holiday i've been on, the place is a dump.

Best was a greek island called IOS, amazing scenery weather nice people and excellent nightlife

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishWhite

Has to be Turkey for me caters for both types of holiday maker the ones who want to go mad for a fortnight or those who want to relax. It also has good shopping and its relatively cheap for meals drinks etc. The spanish could learn a lot about customer service form the Turkish as it second to none and people are always more than glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

DISLIKES; Turkey and Playa del Ingles(what a dump) in Gran Canaria

LIKES; Cyprus (except when i was there for the 5-2 drubbing), Bulgaria (not Sunny beach though or concrete jungle as its better known)
    Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria was not too bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Best - Scandanavia (apart from the prices!) in summer
    Worst - Canaries. It was basically Temple Bar with less inhibitions, and I can do that for free (well, cheaper!).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

worst - san antonio during the winter. i was there in january of 2007 when the theme parks were closed. the main attractions at that time of year are the riverwalk (yes a walk next to a city river that you can do better in 1,000 cities across the planet), a skytower (lame shorter version of cn tower in toronto or stratosphere in las vegas) and the alamo (at most you will spend an hour here and less if you don't watch the movie). the city centre is devoid of people, walk about a half mile south and the area starts looking like something out of a warzone with burned out buildings

Best - i couldn't pick one but because i am just back from southern spain i suppose that is freshest in my memory. by flying into malaga you have easy and frequent access via public transport to places like marbella, torremolinos, gibraltar, sevilla, granada, Sierra Nevada National Park. 300 days of sunshine a year, great scenery, beaches, mountains, lakes, culture, history and a short ferry ride to northern morocco, you could do alot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

Worst - Marrakesh, horrible place especially the main square Jemma El Fna.
    Best - Cambodia

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Worst - Gran Canaria. The Irish Centre should be used as a nuclear testing ground. Salou is a total shíthole too, but fortunately was only there a couple of days as part of a longer, truly excellent holiday.

Best - probably South Africa. Amazing country, fabulous scenery, good food and drink and really nice people.

Advertisement