Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My rottweiler pup is really rough

Options
  • 18-12-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey guys, i have a 4 1/2 mth rotty. Thing is he is really rough:eek:
    I have owned rotty's before and both were excellent, never had to worry about them. My son who's now 7 grew up with both of them and i never had to worry about them being in the same room together alone.
    The thing is this guy, [ i know he's a pup ] but he is massive and is really rough. He is turns on my yorkie to the point of me having to seperate them:mad: What am i gonna do if it happens when he's much bigger.He's rough with the kids, bitting them playfully though, as pups do. But no matter how much i tell him off he doesn't seem to take notice.Worried about him being around the kids when he's older:(
    Tell me guys what do i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Get yourself and himself some training, you need to get a handle on this now.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Toulouse wrote: »
    Get yourself and himself some training, you need to get a handle on this now.

I agree.
    Bring him to puppy obedience classes. Rotty's are a naturally dominant breed and will push you to the limit to see what they can get away with. I'm sure you will be fine - just make sure you let him know who's boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Training should help,mind it could be down to the breeding of the dog, some rottweilers may be agressive purely becaucase of 'bad' breeding. Did you get the your previous Rottweilers from the same person/place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lucky111

greetings wrote: »
    Training should help,mind it could be down to the breeding of the dog, some rottweilers may be agressive purely becaucase of 'bad' breeding. Did you get the your previous Rottweilers from the same person/place?
    Hey there, no we didnt get him from the same people:(
    We got him free because he had a full tail and no papers.
    The fella we got him from had told him his father, who's 9 1/2 stone is a bit head strong, mum is a pure pet[ 7 1/2 stone ]
    Not worried about the size he is gonna be just getting worried from the way he acts. I am def gonna get this sorted, traing ll the way.
    Has anyone else had problems like this?:confused:
    Cheers guys for your help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

My rotty to get bullied by my ma's jack russel size mongrel and would try to stick up for himself, but imaging a huge 7 year old kid with a grown tiny man, the kid would have no chance, once he got older the small dog stopped trying to dominate him and things settled, now they get on fine and he rules the roost, get him trained and he'll be fine, this should be done even with placid dogs..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

It’s time to become alpha in your little pack! Your rotty is challenging for position within your pack & probably looks at your son as someone below him in the pecking order! You have to assert your dominance over the dog – before anyone starts this does not mean beating or ill treating your animal! Simple things like:

Having all family members eat before the dog gets feed,

Don’t allow the dog up on furniture (as in their mind’s eye the higher up off the ground the more status),

Walk your dog don’t allow your dog walk you (teach your dog to walk beside you or slightly behind you but never out in front, as only alpha dogs lead),

Don’t allow any sort of rough play with your son while rotty is in adolescent years (this usually ends at about 3 years old), when any from of rough housing starts stop it! Do this with a yell ‘Stop’ then separate your dog from the family for about 2 minutes! After 2 minutes allow back in, if same thing happens again repeat the process! Sooner or latter the penny will drop for the dog that this behavior is unacceptable!

Hope some of the above helps!

Just to add - getting your dog trained is such a good investment! You will get a lot more out of your pet & your pet will know exactly what their boundaries are!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ceaser fan? :D

Personally I don't think the eating first thing and not allowing them on furniture means anything.

TBH for me that would be cutting my nose off to spite my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

If anything ... puppies are fed first - not the "alpha".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Get thee to a puppy obedience class! Your pup needs to learn who's boss and who's not, and he needs to learn quick. Otherwise your going to have a very large missile trying to control your house..

Advertisement