Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science Course - Which one - Help!

• 18-12-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey,

Looking for a bit of advise here. Basically, I dont have a clue which computer science course I want to do and there is a few options, namely, DIT, DCU, UCD or Maynooth. Anybody wanna help decide what to do with the next few years of my life, lol.:pac:

The DIT course seems to have a bad name:confused: but when i look at the course structure and everything it seems quite good. Are points required anything to go by?

Im well capable of around 450 points in my leaving but i dont have higher math which i should of kept:P, so that rules out trinity.
    Feel free to name any other courses that are good.

By the way do would i need a laptop in the first year of a CS course, i have a high end computer already that i could lug up to wherever i would be staying.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So you decided to post in Anime and Manga? Interesting choice..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 CrazyirishBoy

OH ****, how the hell did that happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I guess computer science won't be a good option for his CAO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

DCU have a pretty good anime society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

CSSE (Computer Science & Software Engineering) in Maynooth

Simply because of the work placement.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57993184#post57993184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

My boyfriends doing computer science in Trinity and loves it,he picked there because he thought they did the best course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

I do computer Science in UCD and love it.

Also , considering you couldnt find the right section to put your post in you might not be cut out for tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 camroc

Computer Applications in DCU also offers a work placement. I'm in the final year of that course now, and I've really enjoyed it. I didn't have higher level maths but it didn't hold me back. Maybe I had to work a little bit harder at the maths modules than others who did have higher level, but I found the maths I've studied in College to be a lot more interesting than what is on the leaving cert syllabus. I think that'll hold true regardless of the CS course that you choose. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

TDOie wrote: »
    I do computer Science in UCD and love it.

Also , considering you couldnt find the right section to put your post in you might not be cut out for tech.

Thats right Folks, Arrogance comes for free with a UCD degree.

I graduated from UCD in Computer Science a few years ago, I should know :D

OP - Comp Sci in UCD is good. Mainly C++, Java, Lisp, Object Orientated Programming, Graphics, some networks etc. Although as far as I know you do still have to take the general Science route i.e Study Physics, Biology, Chemistry etc ( Although different options are available) which is fair enough I think after all its a Science degree. Although, this can frustrate a lot of people in the early years especially if they want to concentrate on Computers specifically. But Honestly looking back, the Science background has been invaluable for me in dealing with the real world -still working in Computers. Theres a lot to be said for Scientifc Reasoning in the workplace :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

masonman wrote: »
    Thats right Folks, Arrogance comes for free with a UCD degree.

I graduated from UCD in Computer Science a few years ago, I should know :D

OP - Comp Sci in UCD is good. Mainly C++, Java, Lisp, Object Orientated Programming, Graphics, some networks etc. Although as far as I know you do still have to take the general Science route i.e Study Physics, Biology, Chemistry etc ( Although different options are available) which is fair enough I think after all its a Science degree. Although, this can frustrate a lot of people in the early years especially if they want to concentrate on Computers specifically. But Honestly looking back, the Science background has been invaluable for me in dealing with the real world -still working in Computers. Theres a lot to be said for Scientifc Reasoning in the workplace :)

You can take a Science route or an Arts route , Both Routes can cover the exact same stuff on Computer Science side of things , The extra subject you take with it can be usefull as the above poster indicated. For example doing CS with a Science Subject such as Biology or a Business Subject such as Economics or even a language would prove usefull in my opinion. Oh and yeah we're arrogant! :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 angel6

The DIT Computer Science course offers a placement too...Meanwhile, have a look at Computing in DIT (has a placement option of either 6 months in the 3rd year OR 2 days a week (mon & tues) for the 3rd and 4th years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I went to DIT and Griffith College. I would not rate either particularly high.

If I was to go back in time, I would go to Trinity because the college has a good reputation, especially abroad. This should be a factor worth considering, because you will probably have to emigrate when you graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

TDOie wrote: »
    You can take a Science route or an Arts route , Both Routes can cover the exact same stuff on Computer Science side of things

In my experience, our BA counterparts didn't have as many options as the Comp Sci Students. Obviously they needed to dedicate some time to non- computer science subjects while we picked up additional computer science options that they did not. BA route is another route into Computer Science but from my experience they are not exactly matched from the point of view of course content.

Advertisement