Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st james' GUM clinic?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi there. new member here. decided to make a visit to get a sexual health checkup done in dublin, just wondering if anyone has any experience in the st james' place? i called their number, but just got a recording saying to be there at 8am on a monday for a ticket. just wondering, is that ticket just to give me an alloted time that day? or that week? or how does it work? also if you could tell me what the testing actually includes, that'd be great. saw in another thread here about the cotton bud etc, but a breakdown of the procedure/timeframe would be much appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Ive never been on a monday. I went on a tuesday and needed to get there about 2-3 hours early to get a place. They only take about 25 people on the day. You get a ticket and then wait to register. Then you can head off until a certain time. Basically you need to keep the day free though. Very good service once you do get seen to be honest^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I get checked up there every now and then.

You need to take a full day off work. Arrive really early to get a ticket, and then hang around there for the rest of the day until they call you in for your tests. You'll be there for HOURS so bring a book and some magazines.

You can choose what they test you for (except for HPV - they don't test for that). In general this involves giving blood, urine and a swab from down your japs eye. It doesn't hurt.

You get your results in two weeks. This normally involves taking another full day off work and sitting there for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 partfour

thanks for the notes guys, appreciate it.

had my appointment about a week or so ago and was pleasantly surprised by the process, not nearly as long as mentioned! i arrived the monday morning at about 730 in the queue, which had a fair few people in it already. i only just squeezed into the initial ticketing of 25, but whilst waiting, saw up to #40 being handed out, so they must take more people on mondays. get in the door at 8, people started being seen around 9/930. i got seen around 1130, maybe 10 minutes with the doctor then 10 minutes between waiting for and then giving bloods. was back in work by 12, so it was quite an easy trip. two weeks time they said they'd call if i needed a new appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are there any other private STD clinics in the city? I want to get a full checkup done, purely for my own peace of mind, and can't really afford to take days off for it.

Are there any other private clinics that people know of? Money not an issue

Advertisement