Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreens in Limerick

Options
  • 18-12-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

My car failed the NCT for a chip in the windscreen - kinda weird because it's exactly the same as it was 2 years ago and they passed it then, but I measured it myself and it does appear to be in "Zone A" and is larger than 10mm. It's quite opaque around the chip, like as if the laminate is damaged or something, so it doesn't look like something that can be repaired.

So, any recommendations for places in Limerick city who replace windscreens? My mechanic said there's a place by (or in?) Elm Motors - anyone used them?

And how much would I expect to pay for a windscreen for a '98 Fiesta?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AA windscreen repairs in the East way business park. Friend of mine got a window in there. As for a price, i couldn't tell you. You'll have to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

www.Autoglass.ie on the Ennis road, between Elm Motors and the filling station. Its hidden from the main road but you just pull into the filling station and you will see it up at the back.

Had my front windscreen replaced by them last summer. It was a complex enough fitting being heated, having a rain sensor and auto dipping rear view mirror attached but the lads there know their stuff. No issues with it since it was replaced and none of that blury effect that you often get from lower quality glass.

You will need to ring them for a price but do mention you are paying for it yourself. Alot of places have two prices - one for you and one where the insurance company is paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks! Will prob go for Autoglass as I'm that side of town anyway and I'm taking to RS Auto up the road for the other thing it failed on (crappy handbrake)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Now I'm not a 100% certain

but I can rember hearing about places that can fill in chips on windscreens when they're not that bad

and about the NCT it depends on who you get

My friend has a 97' Fiesta that passed its NCT even though it has a tare in the fan-belt and a handbrake that actually squeals when you pull it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As I said I'm quite sure it's too bad to be repaired at this stage.

Fan belt isn't tested in the NCT, and as long as the handbrake does everything it's supposed to it'll pass. I just got lucky 2 years ago with the windscreen, as it's a definite fail.

I went to Autoglass anyway and got a quote for €180 which sounds reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually if the chip is smaller than a €2 coin then it can probably be repaired.

Check to see if you have glass cover on your insurance and go to a fitter who can bill your insurance company direct without you having to go through the hassle of paying and claiming back.

Advertisement