Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever inadvertantly train your dogs to do something funny?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 7:14pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I noticed last night that if I put my hands on my hips my dogs sit. I figure that they must have learned it from times when they are being boisterous and don't sit when I tell them. So I get a bit annoyed and tell them sit in a louder voice. I must be putting my hands on my hips unconsciously when I'm annoyed. So my dogs have decided that if they see my hands on my hips they think I want them to sit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

When feeding my dog I used to put my hands on my hip and ask her what she wanted and she would run around and bark. Now if I put my hands on my hips and make eye contact she runs around and start barking. She only does this in the kitchen.

We accidentally taught her to kill the windscreen wipers in the car too. Came back to bite me though when I had her in the car last night and suddenly she went for the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I laughed heartily at the thread title, but did not read the posts. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My cats will come charging at the rustle of a plastic packet, because it's the noise the treats bag makes.

Backfires when I'm sitting in bed at night, taking a makeup remover wipe out of its packet, and a cat lands in my lap...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My Parent's JRT will hear (from about 3 miles away) the sound of a tin of biscuits opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I trained my staffie how to give her paw. And then the other paw. So we can go on for ages swapping paws. And when she really wants something like a pig's ear, she'l give you the paw if you ask and before you ask for other paw she would have it in your hand. Its great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

One of my dogs reacts to my foot tapping on the floor. If i dropped food i would tap my foot and she would know there was food on the floor....so now anytime i tap my foot she runs over to see if there is food. I just wish she could train herself other stuff so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

Discostuy wrote: »
    One of my dogs reacts to my foot tapping on the floor. If i dropped food i would tap my foot and she would know there was food on the floor....so now anytime i tap my foot she runs over to see if there is food. I just wish she could train herself other stuff so well.

My dog does this too. Now my oh taps his foot just to tease her!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I don't know how it happened but we had a shepherd cross years ago and if she heard James Brown's "I feel Good" she used to chase her tail.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My pup high fives.

It started from me taking the p**s of my OH for his drunken tendancy to high five his mates.

Harley was rolling around on the couch and I put my hand down to him which he slapped with his paw. It went from there. Now if he's lying down and you say "high five" he'll smack your hand. I'm not sure if he sees it as a "command" or just something he does anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yeah I couldnt train to save my life yet if i tell him to give me five he does.

If i tell him to give me a hug he wraps his 2 paws around my neck and hugs.

If i tell him to "do the baby" he lies down in the crook of my arms as if i was cradling him. :P

Yet he cant give the paw and has no recall whatsoever :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement