Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fan belt

Options
  • 18-12-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Fan belt in my car has gone. Had to leave the car in a public car park as I couldn't steer it properly. Unfortunately don't have roadside assistance. Anyone have a ball-park € figure for a job like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not too much, the problem will be getting the car to a mechanic. Do you think you'd be able to fit a new belt yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

The only reason I know it is the fan belft is because the guard on operation freeflow at the lights was an ex-mechanic. If it is something I can fix myself, i will give it a try. Is a fan belt a generic component, or is it specific to different car models?

It'll be specific to the car, i'm afraid. Apart from the lack of power steering, is there anything else wrong with the car? Did the red warning light with the battery come on?

Yep, the battery light came on too...what does that indicate in this case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

not charging, because no fan belt to turn alternator..
    not a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It means the battery is not being charged, the alternator is driven by the same belt that drives the power steering pump. You will not be able to drive it very far, especially at night with lights on as the battery will go flat.

Just watched this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hnOUs9eiN4

Mine's a banger of an A4, going to give it a go myself once I get the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes should be easy enough to change it yourself with a few simple tools everything going well.

Couldn't get at the thing. Brought it to advance pitstop and they just rang me to say that it will cost 90e. Thought that was a bit excessive. Any thoughts?

It really depends on the car - a 'fan belt' is these days more likely a serpentine belt that drives all manner of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement