Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full time driver insuranced as a Named Driver

Options
  • 18-12-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I know that the insurance industry clamped down on named drivers on an insurance policy being the main driver of a vehicle a number of years ago. I was hit with the full whack at that stage.

Whats the feeling these days ?
    Like i want my dad to get insured on my car and put me as a named driver.
    do that for a year or two until they stop *raping me with insurance prices, then go back as full driver.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If he's not actually the first driver, you're doing something known as "fronting"; not sure if its illegal here but it can cause serious problems if you make a claim - particularly a second or third claim where the "secondary" driver has been driving all the time.

Additionally, if the car is in your name, he's down as first driver, you as second/named - they'll usually charge you as if you were first driver as they know full well whats going on; or there'll be only a minimal difference. You'd need to transfer the car to him first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

samhail wrote: »
    I know that the insurance industry clamped down on named drivers on an insurance policy being the main driver of a vehicle a number of years ago. I was hit with the full whack at that stage.

Whats the feeling these days ?
    Like i want my dad to get insured on my car and put me as a named driver.
    do that for a year or two until they stop *raping me with insurance prices, then go back as full driver.

I'm 2 years with AXA and have changed two secondary drivers on my policy. AXA allows to do that free from charge. As I know you have to pay for secondary drivers if you're with Quinn (€80). Correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

MYOB wrote: »
    If he's not actually the first driver, you're doing something known as "fronting"; not sure if its illegal here but it can cause serious problems if you make a claim - particularly a second or third claim where the "secondary" driver has been driving all the time.

Additionally, if the car is in your name, he's down as first driver, you as second/named - they'll usually charge you as if you were first driver as they know full well whats going on; or there'll be only a minimal difference. You'd need to transfer the car to him first.

the insurance company wouldn't know who is driving the car full time though ? like unless u constantly are claiming :)
    PeterLT wrote: »
    I'm 2 years with AXA and have changed two secondary drivers on my policy. AXA allows to do that free from charge. As I know you have to pay for secondary drivers if you're with Quinn (€80). Correct me if I'm wrong

yeah its more actually getting insured rather than changing 2nd drivers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the insurance company wouldn't know who is driving the car full time though ? like unless u constantly are claiming :)

Clearly, but if there was repeat or large claims, they'd investigate.

UK figures on 'fronted' claims rejections:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm

You'll also have no current NCB when you go to get insurance after, and not every insurer takes named driver experience in to account...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the insurance company wouldn't know who is driving the car full time though ?

Indeed they won't. You'll probably get away with it unless you make a big claim. Instead of automatically paying out like with small claims, your big claim might be flagged for further investigation...

• Advertisement

Ive been driving for 8 years. had 6 years no claims in my own name. just gone 2 years since i had my policy and im getting treating like a 17year old ! (no offence 17yr olds;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

yeah its more actually getting insured rather than changing 2nd drivers

Secondary driver is insured and have same privileges same as first driver. Your dad could get insured with your car and you could be put as secondary driver, the thing is your dad will have to get second policy. Haven't a clue how much it would be.

Some insurance companies will give you NCB even if you are as named driver, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the insurance company wouldn't know who is driving the car full time though ?
    You have to sign a legal declaration confirming that the details you have provided are correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

i would be careful about doing it between a father/son especially if you are at different addresses and if you own the car.

i think its more acceptable if you have say, a family where the husband/wife owns the car and is insured as the first driver but the actual use might be 50:50 or at times the second driver ends up using it more, as someone needs to go down as first name driver, and family use is by its nature flexible.

but if you own the car and use it all the time, keep it at your address and park it at your own workplace then you could end up in bother if your insurance company decides to look into things.

i live at home so car would be kept here.

If thats what it costs - i can accept that.
    but simply that i have not been insured under my own name for the past 2 years, even though i have been driving in no way should put literally 1000 euro on top of my premium.

My law i have to have insurance and they can screw me like this ? how can that be legal.

• Advertisement

oh their good to me.

over the next 5 years i have to pay an extra 3400 euro as compared to if i was on the insurance that i should be on with my no claims.

Advertisement