Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Site created by Eircom - www.broadbandatoz.ie/

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

For anyone who doesn't know Eircom have a new site detailing exchanges to be upgraded:
    http://www.broadbandatoz.ie

More to the point this will show if there are no plans for DSL in your area. It is based on electoral constituency so cross your fingers there is no red dot beside your exchange name!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭clohamon

fergalfrog wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't know Eircom have a new site detailing exchanges to be upgraded:

More to the point this will show if there are no plans for DSL in your area. It is based on electoral constituency so cross your fingers there is no red dot beside your exchange name!

Any idea when this site went up?

The FAQ section is blunt; and the better for it.

The electoral constituency is the smallest statistical area (LAU2- Local Administrative Unit) at which the EU (Eurostat) collect statistics, so it has a bureaucratic significance. Eircom supply statistics to the EU annually based on LAU2.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

clohamon wrote: »
    Any idea when this site went up?

As far as I know it went live on Tuesday (Dec 16th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is a red dot beside my exchange.:mad: I am in Laois/Offaly i.e. the Taoiseachs constituency. I think I shall fire off a strongly worded letter to him as a loyal voter.

To add insult to injury I received a letter from eircom asking me to sign up to broadband. Surely they know I can't get it. Why waste paper sending me useless advertising materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭clohamon

As far as I know it went live on Tuesday (Dec 16th).

Interesting that a new site would include this:
    Exchanges to be covered by the National Broadband Scheme:
    These locations have been given to the Department of Communications so they can be taken into consideration for the National Broadband Scheme.

Nearly three weeks after they knew they had lost the tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It would be interesting to know if eircom actually intended to enable these exchanges if they won the NBS.

There has been much talk of them saying they intended to use Meteor and roll out a Mobile BB network for the NBS in many areas but I think it looks like they would have enabled the exchanges and rolled out 3G with meteor.

This would of course given them a huge DSL network and a nationwide Mobile BB network. I'm guessing people can see why that would be a bad idea.

But since 3 are going to do it using Mobile BB which would be worse. Looks like the government ended up trying to decide which was the lesser of two evils and one has to ask was this idea even feasible to begin with?

Would we have been better off going at this using other ideas? Others have stated on here that they should have focused on the back haul and not bringing broadband to people. That might have been a better idea but I guess one reason why the government might not like the idea is because there would be less votes in it for them.

Using the NBS they can claim that anyone using 3 Mobile BB is a result of them and they rescued them from dial up land however they will probably end up too embarrassed about that once we see the speeds 3 actually deliver to people.

Only time will tell of course but hopefully IO can stop us from ever having to find out as we all know Mobile BB is an unsuitable technology for what the government, business and the people originally wanted to achieve from the NBS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Just thought I'd also post the eircom statement from that site:
    eircom Statement - National Broadband Scheme

25th Nov 2008

eircom is extremely disappointed not to be awarded the contract for the National Broadband Scheme. Our comprehensive bid was supported by the leading vendors and suppliers on the market and was backed by the most significant regional interest groups. Our bid would have delivered a level of broadband coverage which exceeded that required by the Government – both in terms of geographic reach and available speeds.

eircom remains committed to delivering broadband to as many parts of the country as possible and will continue to support the Government in whatever way we can to deliver the ‘broadband Ireland’ project.

We continue to make progress with our broadband roll out programme which will see more than 900 exchanges, representing 96 of the working telephone lines in Ireland connected to a broadband enabled exchange by the end of next year.

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/news-article.asp?id=157

Its a good website to be fair as it is very clear and easy to use even if it was intended for another use, it is still useful for everyone in Ireland to know where they stand on this issue. Now people know if there exchange is planned to be enabled or not. That is a lot more clear now than it was before this website was launched. At least if eircom don't enable an exchange, people can say it was planned so why was it canceled?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The website is good. The FAQs are very good, and show a huge attitude improvement on the eircom of old.

Only one problem though. The locations on the map. Some big mistakes. I had a glance on the Louth and Meath maps and I spotted 5 or so mistakes. There could be more.

Here's some of them.

Colpe Cross is somewhere near Grange Rath in Drogheda, not near Gormanston down towards Balbriggan.

Kilmessan in Co. Westmeath?? http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/news-article.asp?id=169

And I can personally guarantee that 2 exchanges have not suddenly appeared within 2 miles of me. One of them I can confirm is on the Cooley penninsula in reality.

The BT line checker is still the best way of finding out what exchange you're on. http://www.btireland.ie/check_exchange/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

It does seem that location mistakes are countrywide, I can personally guarantee at least three Mayo exchanges displayed far south of where they should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT have not loaded up any of the new 50nnnnnn numbers in s/w dublin . EG number blocks like 5051xxx 5052xxx 5053xxx 523xxx 5244xxx , wonder why ??

But it is as TBC said a BIG improvement .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭bloopy

oh well. earlier in the year somone posted a list of exchanges due to be enabled by the end 2008 on this site. just checked the eircom site formy exchange - seems its now due to be enabled end 2009. and i foolishly thought we would all have bb by end 2004 - silly me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Mine is one of the 2 exhanges in Louth with no dsl upgrades planned. Guess I'm stuck with Wireless Cable. Even though we are too far away from the exhange for that service to get good speeds.

Broadband in Ireland is a joke. Why is the Government bothering to do this scheme is everyone does not get a proper service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Because it makes them look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

By the metrics the Government will use it will be very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I was just on the Broadbandatoz site, went to Contatct Us page, filled in my details and queries, clicked the button and........

Microsoft VBScript runtime
    Variable is undefined: 'domain'
    /500.asp

Typical ******** Irish website!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Same here, clever trick to prevent queries - the feckin query form is bugged! :mad:

Advertisement