Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Schoolhouse Restaurant, Clarinbridge

Options
  • 18-12-2008 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Just wondering if this restautant has closed down? I've been trying to ring them for a week now and I keep getting a strange tone (not engaged but like it's been disconnected).

Also, I called out to the restuarant and there was a sign on the door saying:
    Restaurnat Closed
    On Holidays
    Open Soon
    Any ideas? I have a gift voucher for a meal I want to use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Watanabe

I'd also like to ask what happened to them. I lived in Galway a few years ago and it was my favourite restaurant. I drove past it on the way to Shannon a about a month ago and they had a sign up about some sort of meal deal, I can't remember the details but it seemed to be a good value. Tried calling this weekend to no avail and went there at the weekend and it now has a for sale sign up. Hard to believe it closed down. I know the economy is bad, but didn't think things were that bad, is Galway worse than the rest of the country? Does anyone know what happened to it? A few years back it looked like a goldmine, or did they relocate to a bigger venue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mallett

its defo closed down dont know why though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Watanabe

That's thing that I can never figure out, a great place like this closes and a lot of rubbish places have been on the go for years. In this case I suspect the problem was the location as well as probably a bit of the small size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 caramolly

Yeah, I went there from time to time before it closed but has just been re-opened under new management (the couple who are running it now are very well regarded in the Galway restaurant business). Went for a meal there recently and was mightily impressed. They did a lot of work on it without interfering with the Old Schoolhouse charm. Well worth a visit. Great food and lovely atmosphere. I'd say it will do really well if my experience was anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

caramolly wrote: »
    I'd say it will do really well if my experience was anything to go by.

What side of the counter were you standing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 caramolly

The paying side! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

A quick Google says the rent is 39,000 Euros a year.
    You would think they would spend a few hundred for advertising on the boards to get the customers in to pay that and the wages and the suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dax Head

The Old Schoolhouse is open again under new management and the food is great.. well worth a visit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Dax Head wrote: »
    The Old Schoolhouse is open again under new management and the food is great.. well worth a visit!!

And the prices ?

i went for sunday lunch with the oh

2 courses 19.95
    3 for 23.50 or spmething like that

portions weren't huge but there was enough to fill me, but wasnt badly stuffed the way you'd be sometimes after 3 courses

all in all the quality of the food was pretty damn good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

alibabba wrote: »
    And the prices ?
    They have a website, see for yourself.
    http://www.theoldschoolhouserestaurant.ie/menu.html

Advertisement