Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scanner?

Options
  • 18-12-2008 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm looking a getting a scanner for my father for Christmas; looking at
    a +25 years of back catalog, so he can digitize his negatives.

So What would you recommend. I heard good this about epson and the
    Coolscan V is out of my price range...

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Burnt wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm looking a getting a scanner for my father for Christmas; looking at
    a +25 years of back catalog, so he can digitize his negatives.

So What would you recommend. I heard good this about epson and the
    Coolscan V is out of my price range...

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

If the coolscan is out then the epson 700/750 is the most popular alternative it seems ( haven't used it, have a coolscan). If he has a ton of stuff to scan he might actually be better off with the epson, the coolscan v can only scan strips of 6 negatives or one mounted slide at a time. The epson can hold IIRC 12 mounted slides or 24 unmounted negs or slides in strips. Plus it has digital ICE, which is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Cheers Daire

So I got the epson, but the epson scan software keeps hanging;
    I'm kinda disappointed/piss'd, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Not a clue, sorry, made worse by the fact that you've provided no information whatsoever as to your system or the circumstances surrounding the crashes :D

Doesn't it come with silverfast aswell as the epson scan utility ? You could try that as an alternative. If not, or if that crashes aswell, contact epson technical support. Be very specific about your machine details, what you were doing at the time of the crash, the scanner model and any settings you had set at the time.

While you're waiting for them to get back to you (I've never dealt with epson tech support so I've no idea what they're like, but I have a low opinion of tech support for the most part) , the best thing is start googling. Make very specific googles with the details of what you were doing, hardware specs, scanner model etc etc. If that doesn't throw up any hits start loosening up your criteria. This normally throws up google results for me if I'm looking for something specific, you might find a fix or a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

You are not alone.

I found this

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=28355

by Googling

epson scan software slow hangs how to correct

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software might help?

• Advertisement

Not a clue, sorry, made worse by the fact that you've provided no information whatsoever as to your system or the circumstances surrounding the crashes :D

:o Sorry I should have been much more elaborated in my descriptions, but I was really bummed with the whole thing at the time.

Anyhow Epson is a very selfish mistress and conflicts with virtually every other driver for a printer/scanner/web camera on the PC. I un-installed all these devices both in add remove programs and device manager. I then created a new clean administrator profile installed it there and set premissions such that it's available to other profiles.

It is now up and running and I'm very pleased with the results thanks for the advice guys; sample attached :cool:

3140292028_252fd68e25.jpg

For the record I'm running

XP Pro on a Dell Dimension 9150 with a Intel Pentium D + 2GB ram

Advertisement