Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Gatso Van Queries

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Was just wondering if any any other drivers have been zapped ? by the new gatso van by the coca cola plant opposite the red cow. I was driving by this evening about 7 ish didnt see the van until it was to late was doing about 61 -62kmh, didnt see a flash, do they do you for being just over and if so how long does it take to get the brown envelope through the letterbox ? saying you got 2 points etc and the photo.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

do you have to see a flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they dont flash... they use video cameras and its a frezze frame of your reg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Legally there can be an over-read on your speedo of between 0% and 10%, or so I've heard, so you may not have been over at all.

I'm feckin paranoid these days, the second i see a transit stationary on the road ahead, i slam on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'm feckin paranoid these days, the second i see a transit stationary on the road ahead, i slam on the brakes.

You must be a pleasure to drive behind. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies
    Cant be 100% sure but didnt see a flash, it was pitch black at the time and its a crap stretch of road with all those road works, how long does it take for penalty notice to come through?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies
    Cant be 100% sure but didnt see a flash, it was pitch black at the time and its a crap stretch of road with all those road works, how long does it take for penalty notice to come through?

You might be ok if you were doing 61 or 62. Remember, your speedo slightly overestimates your speed so you could be ok. The lads in the van might also be in a good mood and only clocking people over 70!

me too!

i knew i was'nt alone!:D

Thanks once again for all the replies guys, I hate the way they sneak this vans around Ireland. In the UK the vans are clearly marked and they have signs that warn motorists that speed traps are in that area, can believe that they are legally allow do this. The only give away in the daylight is the darkened windows in the back of the van, mind you its the run up to christmas and the economy is in bad shape so they might be doing everybody one for road safety and two for revenue the old 80 euro fine what a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

But sure if people slowed down there would be no fines

Simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

yayamark wrote: »
    But sure if people slowed down there would be no fines

Simple really.
    That's crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

I heard the fine and points are higher after dark because of the cost of the new fit out, infra red camera etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

CLADA wrote: »
    I heard the fine and points are higher after dark because of the cost of the new fit out, infra red camera etc...

You heard wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Gatso vans are numbered as follows...
    08-D-61808
    08-D-61810
    08-D-61831
    08-D-61843
    08-D-61846
    08-D-61850
    08-D-61856
    08-D-61857

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    08-D-61808
    08-D-61810
    08-D-61831
    08-D-61843
    08-D-61846
    08-D-61850
    08-D-61856
    08-D-61857

My ANPR system is getting serviced at the moment best not speed! :pac:

Cheers anyway ;)

Once again thanks for all your replies guys, but am still wondering how long it takes when the camera van zapps you until you get the notice through the letterbox?

Once again thanks for all your replies guys, but am still wondering how long it takes when the camera van zapps you until you get the notice through the letterbox?

anything up to 3 months...and the new vans have an IR flash that you wont see ;)

3 Months of waiting oh well, I better be more vigilant next time, those vans are never parked in black spot areas just in areas where there are not well marked speed limits!!!!!!!!! you can do 80kmh down narrow crappy country (lanes) i mean roads, and 60kmh by the red cow where is the logic in that. Those vans must be a right little earner, they must have a good daily revenue intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thanks once again for all the replies guys, I hate the way they sneak this vans around Ireland. In the UK the vans are clearly marked and they have signs that warn motorists that speed traps are in that area, can believe that they are legally allow do this. The only give away in the daylight is the darkened windows in the back of the van, mind you its the run up to christmas and the economy is in bad shape so they might be doing everybody one for road safety and two for revenue the old 80 euro fine what a rip off

They put all the info on the locations up on the website. :rolleyes:

At this stage, that spot is as famous as the fixed camera at the spa hotel . They've been using it for years.

It's a dodgy spot for pedestrians because there are crossings there and have been a good few people run down on the stretch between red cow and kylemore. The lower speed limits are warranted.

those vans are never parked in black spot areas just in areas where there are not well marked speed limits!!!!!!!!! you can do 80kmh down narrow crappy country (lanes) .

So you think parking a transit on a narrow country road would be a good thing for road safety?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    08-D-61808
    08-D-61810
    08-D-61831
    08-D-61843
    08-D-61846
    08-D-61850
    08-D-61856
    08-D-61857

If your close enough to read the reg it's a bit late.

• Advertisement

My issue is with the speed limits, my point is how can you justify a speed limit setting on a narrow country lane road of 80kmh when you would be lucky to do about 40 maybe without meeting a tractor around the corner, and also the approach into dublin has a limit of 100kmh it has three lanes either way like the motorways in the uk our motorways are dual carriage ways two lanes either side and a limit of 120kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Stekelly wrote: »
    So you think parking a transit on a narrow country road would be a good thing for road safety?

Don't be so pedantic, you know exactly the point he's making.

My issue is with the speed limits, my point is how can you justify a speed limit setting on a narrow country lane road of 80kmh when you would be lucky to do about 40 maybe without meeting a tractor around the corner, and also the approach into dublin has a limit of 100kmh it has three lanes either way like the motorways in the uk our motorways are dual carriage ways two lanes either side and a limit of 120kmh.

You are supposed to be able to responsibly judge appropriate speeds yourslef and not just hammer around blind tight bends at 80 just because thats what the speed limit happens to be. A lot of roads are automatically assigned a limit based on the class of road, again that doesnt mean you shoul dtravel at that speed when it's obviouly not safe.

The Naas road also has junctions , with and without traffic lights with slow merging traffic, the fact that it happens to have 3 lanes is irrelevant to a motorway when you are comparing.

daRobot wrote: »
    Don't be so pedantic, you know exactly the point he's making.

?He was very specific in saying the vans arent parked in the black spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

?He was very specific in saying the vans arent parked in the black spots.

Did he suggest that Gatso Vans should be parked on narrow lanes?

daRobot wrote: »
    Did he suggest that Gatso Vans should be parked on narrow lanes?

Tell you what, I'll concede on making the connection between his 2 sentences that were one after the other.

At the end of the day it's the usual speeders mantra seen here hundreds of times before. Rabble rabble, revenue collectors, rabble rabble, innocentr speeders getting tickets, etc" There are good resons for the speed limits on that stretch of road . I suppose if we are to count running over pedestrians then that stretch could indeedbe classed as a bit of a black spot.

I break speed limits and have no problem admitting as such, but I do so full in the knowledge that I'm doing it and the consequences should I get caught. When that day comes I certainly wont be on the internet whinging about the injustices of it all.

Once again thanks to everyone for replying to my query, if anyone else has anything else to offer please feel free, safe driving to eveyone, and folks a couple of things watch the adverse weather forecast for tomorrow strong winds etc and also watch your speed those vans are out in force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

How about some fixed cameras? Or I guess you have another smart rhetort for that one do you ste?

I've seen these vans in several counties and have yet to see any of these vans in "Accident Black Spots" over recent months.
    Pure and utter money making excercises, that all. Even my mate in the Force told me it is (unoffically) so its no secret.

• Advertisement

Here Here Guys

I totally concur wiht both the posts of the last 2 people to the thread, they are a money making racket and that was my point I never see them in any accident black spots. They just park them up where they know they can make the most revenue.

Advertisement