Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commandos: Whens the last time you played?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

I went about a nestolgic mission about four weeks ago, to complete Commando's 1,2 & 3 by Xmas and fook me its a great game!. I'd forgotten just how awesome it was.

Just managed to get past Misson 19 on 'Behind Enemy Lines' tonight after 4 weeks gameplay and it took an awful amount of effort and caffiene. Anyone still playing these bad boys or played them lately?.

Just wondering if there are still a few online servers knocking around also?.

For those of you that havent played it, go get it. One of the best strategic games ever made IMO and you can currently pick up 1 & 2 for about €10. 13 year old game and you will love every minute of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I friggin was a commando addict, i think the first 2 were good but when it went all 3d things went belly up, not sure about the latter ones i dont think i ever got around to finishing the very last one, but the first ones were brilliant.

I loved knicking uniforms and using the spy to lethally inject nazi scum.

I was getting so good at it I could wipe out entire levels without making one alarm, and would proudly look at the havoc i created at the end of the level:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I was getting so good at it I could wipe out entire levels without making one alarm, and would proudly look at the havoc i created at the end of the level:D

Jasus, Im lucky to get through a level without quick loading 20 times!. Took me four weeks to finish the 1st one. How many games can you say that about nowadays?.

You should reignite the Commandos flame dude, is there still anywhere to play online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I never played it on line so no idea, I just played it so much I could nuke out most levels with alot of cunning and no tripped alarms, the satisfaction was immense....!

I might fire up the last one and most recent I never did get stuck into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Wow Commando's! I always loved this game, it's one of the best RTS games I have ever played (Dungeon Keeper being the best and Command & Conquer Red Alert a close second!) I remeber it being very addictive, challenging gameplay and easy to get the hang of control scheme. And it looked really good at the time though. I keep thinking of the things they used to say: the Beret wearing Oirish voice "I CAN'T!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

"Wish I cud do da"

I started playing it again this week, and im finding the exact thing i found when i was playing it 10~ years ago... its too hard and im crap!

graphics are pretty nice for the time but controls are pretty poor imo, stupid things like trying to get the diver to pick back up the boat, it should be a one click action and its far too easy to nearly make your guy run to the right of the screen instead of clicking the hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

"Wish I cud do da"

I started playing it again this week, and im finding the exact thing i found when i was playing it 10~ years ago... its too hard and im crap!

graphics are pretty nice for the time but controls are pretty poor imo, stupid things like trying to get the diver to pick back up the boat, it should be a one click action and its far too easy to nearly make your guy run to the right of the screen instead of clicking the hand.

Yeah its Windows 95 controls all round. Its not that bad though once you get the swing of it. The controls and graphics get better on the next versions though.

Currently playing 'Beyond the Call of Duty' and the controls are much better and in Commandos 2 the controls have been completely changed.

Its 500% faster as well now on modern day PC's!. Keep at it my man, its gets better and better which each level. You will get the swing of it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Such an awesome game. I remember playing it for weeks trying to beat it. Eventually the limited phrases the characters had would drive you daft though. I haven't played the game in years but can still remember alot of them. "Coming right over....sir!", "whatever you say officer".

Some of the last missions on the first game were incredibly difficult. Makes me wonder how long it took for their QA to test them :)

The missions in Beyond the call of duty were tough but still alot more doable than the original missions.

I stopped playing once it went 3D, it just didn't have the same feel.

There is another game out there though just like Commandos called Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive. It's basically commandos set in the wild west so if you liked Commandos this one is almost as good. It's not as tough as Commandos but still challenging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭sid4lev

• Advertisement

hkj

kjhk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

oim comin! daats easy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

great game

ha I remember even after completing a map, I used go around and kill all the other baddies, and gather their bodies up in one spot (for some reason :o)

can still remember the noise the beartrap makes lol

what was the shout the badies used to yell? 'ein celesta'?

Advertisement