Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie HELP - Sports Photography

Options
  • 17-12-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm about to buy a digital camera and wanted to know how I know if it would be good for sports photography? I know on a normal camera you'd want a good shutter speed, but what do you look for on a digital one?

Thanks

FH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You need FPS also if you're into shooting via burst mode, you didn't say what Camera you were getting,
    If it's a Canon SLR you would have
    1000D 3 f/ps
    400D 3 fp/s
    450D 3.5 fps
    40D 6.5 fps
    50D 6.3fp/s
    5D 3f/ps
    5D mk II 3.9 fp/s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What to look for - good fps, large memory buffer, good ISO performance, then it's down to your lenses.

What sports are you planning on covering?
    What camera are you looking at buying??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Budget???
    I could recommend you a 1D mk III and 300mm f/2.8 but you're talking €4000-€5000
    And i'm sure you're not willing to spend that much on a hobby

I think you're best off getting an entry level DSLR you can get most with 3FPS and then get a 90-300 or 70-300 for the long reach and you'll be sorted

If you give us a rough idea of your budget we can help more :)

Ah, come on AR - the real one in the Canon range - 1D MkIII. 10fps. with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images. :D

Paulw wrote: »
    Ah, come on AR - the real one in the Canon range - 1D MkIII. 10fps. with a burst rate up to 110 full-resolution JPEG images or 30 RAW images. :D

Was thinking that,he mentions all the cameras except the actual cameras built you sport :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

soory guys, should of made clear very much a starting point hobby so minimal budget, couple hundred €€€

thanks for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What are you looking to shoot? What are the photos going to be used for after? You basically get what you pay for, and with a couple of hundred euro, your results are going to be limited enough unfortunately.

40D/50D are very good for sport.

Failing that, 450D is good enough.

Then it's down to your lenses, and that depends on the sport - field requires more reach, indoor requires a fast lens, and so on.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=102548
    This works out at:301.00 and then pick up a canon or sigma zoom lens for 100-150 :)

Edit:http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-EF-90-300mm-f-4-5-5-6-Lens-90-300-mm-Warranty_W0QQitemZ120350785954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item120350785954&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This lens is very good beginer lens,i'm still using it :(...as i can't afford an upgrade to L glass but i trust it the AF is quiet responsize and its sharp keeps up with Gaa,Rubgy(at night)Rally and motorcycle racing
    And heres a shot at f/5.6
    2750303158_654969de06.jpg
    I know its not the best photo but it shows the DOF,Sharpness and the ability of the autofocus to keep up with the players when running at full pace :)

and another
    2364400633_9b679d1b77.jpg

I do think this lens is good and i think when i upgrade i'll keep this as a backup just incase...
    I'm sure others will suggest different lenses and this is just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi

I'm about to buy a digital camera and wanted to know how I know if it would be good for sports photography? I know on a normal camera you'd want a good shutter speed, but what do you look for on a digital one?

Thanks

FH

Much the same thing. You'll find that most digital cameras have very decent shutter speeds. Good fps is nice to have as well but most entry levels have 3fps which is well more than adequate to be starting.

The big thing you'll have to look at is lenses. most canon DSLRs will give you something of the 18-55mm range as a kit lens. This is really not enough so you'll have to look at buying some class of a zoom lens. Given that you're on a budget I would recommend the Sigma 70-300mm but the key issue here is that it's not a very fast lens in low light; so someone is almost certainly going to come and say that you should buy a 2.8 lens 70-200mm zoom. Ignore them; you're at the learning stage. I've used the 70-300 in some very atrocious conditions and it's more than adequate for a newbie.

For the most part, if you're on a budget and not sure of what you're doing, it's wise to start off small.

It would help, by the way, if you gave us an idea of what sports you were planning to shoot. While there are more than a few field sports guys knocking around here, I don't take it for granted because I know that there are at least two watersports experts knocking around here and at least one very god ATB guy.

If you're shooting indoor sports, the rules change. Flash is generally discouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if yer budget is a couple of hundred - have a search on adverts for a secondhand 40D .... as others have said its just a matter of lenses after that.

oh and practice, practice practice....... goto as many games and learn about your game, the rules, players typical reactions, ideal photo oppertunities ..... and most of all - think about what pics sell ........ have a look in the papers see what they print ..... you rarely see a pic of someone scoring a goal ...but you see goal celebrations all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

thanks for all the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

If your going to concentrate on sports photography, and the budget is tight, you might also concider a canon 1d second hand. These babies were the workhorse of a lot of sports photographers, and can still cut the mustard. They are only 4mp, but that will print a nice A4 sized print, so if your just starting, it's probably fine. 2nd hand, you could probably get one for less than 500.

then the lens, - you did'nt say what sport? If it's indoors like darts / snooker, I'd get a 50/1.4. if it's outdoors - like gaa, then on your budget, it's probably a 70-300, cheapest you can get.

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Isn't there a second hand 1D in Conns for 299 or 399?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

kensutz wrote: »

If there is it would certainly be worth looking at. The autofocus on that camera + the speed of it is superb. The latest Miii is a bit better, but not much! the Mark 1 ISO performance is not stunning, but then we're talking about relativly little money here....

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kensutz wrote: »

I'm going into conns tomoro to pick up a lens, I'll keep a look out for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

landyman wrote: »
    I'm going into conns tomoro to pick up a lens, I'll keep a look out for it!

I have used the canon 30D on tennis from time to time...

but the Mark III is the god of cameras for sports...

95% of photographers in Sports use the Mark III (dont buy it in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

What about D3's which have appeared a lot lately. I for one may get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

irish147 wrote: »
    95% of photographers in Sports use the Mark III

Link?

Not a chance, maybe 60/40 but never 95%

Inpho are a Canon house while Sportsfile are exclusively Nikon.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Link?

Not a chance, maybe 60/40 but never 95%

Inpho are a Canon house while Sportsfile are exclusively Nikon.

I just know from doing tennis, all I can see is Canon cameras the most....

but I know alot of EU photographers are moving to Nikon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There are 3 canon eos 1d's for sale in conns. There all 399 Euro

Advertisement