Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from stores in the North, deliver to a northern courier and get delivered down

Options
  • 17-12-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭

This thread got me thinking could you ring a courier company on the border and get a quote, then get argos/tesco/whoever to deliver to the company, (closest to where you live as possible obviously).

You could get supermarkets to deliver your beer!

You would obviously let the couriers know exactly what you are up to. You could come to some arrangement, get loads of beer etc, and have them fill a truck and go round to your mates, who may well be in the same area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i was only thinking of something similar there yesterday. Calling a courier company would quickly determine if its do-able or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

One big problem is paying for the items.
    If it's Credit Card, it would have to be delivered to the address that the card is registered in otherwise you would have guys stealing CC and then ringing Argos and asking them to deliver to XYZ Courier company who then deliver.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it's Credit Card, it would have to be delivered to the address that the card is registered in otherwise you would have guys stealing CC and then ringing Argos and asking them to deliver to XYZ Courier company who then deliver.....
    I am not sure if all shops would insist on that though. Also you might be able to ring your bank and add the address to their system. When making a €2000 purchase before I rang the bank to make sure it would go smoothly.

It could be an oppertunity for somebody up north to do it. Like those people in the US who will go out shopping for you and then post it onto you, or get stuff delivered to them and they forward it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

u could try something like this http://www.my-uk-mail.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I have had stuff delivered from Argos and Amazon to a friend just over the border over the past couple of years, both retailers being paid via my credit card which is registered to me and my address in the republic without any problems or so much as a phonecall to confirm anything. I had to register their name, address and postcode on the respective websites at time of order and specify that the delivery address was different to te billing address.. I can't see why it would be any different dealing with couriers. The trust issue might come into play though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You wouldn't do it with computer hardware from Dabs, Tekheads or Ebuyer ... I used my dads credit card but set the delivery to my name (exact same address, so that's just the first name changing) and all three of them got back to me today asking to confirm the billing address, landline number and telling me they will only send to the billing address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah I've had problems trying to buy from some UK sites, emails looking for CC statements as proof of address and the like. I think that most outfits that practice this are a bit mickey mouse and I just take my business elsewhere. Big players like amazon etc have other means of validating cards nd don't seem to have a problem with it. Of course there's nothing wrong with e-tailers securing themselves and their customers against credit card fraud, but when it gets in the way of a purchase, that gets to be a bit much. Throwing out the baby with the bathwater...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

JAMM222 wrote: »
    u could try something like this http://www.my-uk-mail.co.uk/

are they good? i was looking for something like that to get stuff delivered from Amazon

Advertisement